I'm back....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MikeS

Hi all

It's been a while, I'm sure the old timers remember me...

I've been out of the reefkeeping scene for several years, I had to move my reef to a friend's house to make room for some stepkids. Unfortunately the reef fell into a bad state of neglect during that time. A different friend at work gave it a new permanent home at his place, and we moved it again last week.

Most of the corals didn't survive the prolonged state of neglect, but the ones that remain look like they will make a comeback. I'm going to be helping him get up to speed on reefkeeping over the next few months, and I directed him here, since this place was such an invaluable resource to me in the past. I know he's in good hands here if he has a quick question or problem and can't get ahold of me, as well as just a great place to learn about reefs from some of the best reefkeepers out there.

Looking forward to seeing my old friends here again!

MikeS

Hey, welcome back. And we welcome your friend too. Hope to see him post info about the system, if he hasn't already.
And may we look forward to your setting up another system?

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome everybody....good to see you again Krish!

No new tank planned for the immediate future. I do have an empty 20 gal long that I had always planned on turning into a nanoreef, I'll set it up someday. Currently, a lot of my extra time and money is going towards an old musclecar restoration I've been working on for the last few years. I will get a chance to get my hands wet by getting my old reef back to its former state with its new owner.

Moving the tank and setting it back up went well, and I'm pleased with the progress so far. The live rock is in really good shape, with lots of good coralline growth and pod life. No major algae problems. A minor aptasia problem, but he is making good progress killing them with lemon juice. As for coral, there are about 20+ branching hammer polyps that look to be in good shape and should rebound nicely. I counted about a dozen mushroom polyps comprising 3 different varieties scattered throughout the LR. And there are at least 4 small RTBA's on the rock as well, which suprised me. Losses include my huge frogspawn, my bubble corals, a trachy brain, a fox coral, most of the brancing hammer and mushrooms, and several colonies of yellow polyps. My huge T. Derasa was a casualty of the first move, he perished right after we moved the tank. Fish losses were at 100%, including my yellow tang, a foxface, and my mated pair of percs.

On the plus side....all the equipment was in good working order, as was the tank itself. The new owner bascially has a real nice established and aged LR only tank in which to add whatever coral and fish he likes without being nearly as limited by existing inhabitants. We will start playing with the ca/alk/mg levels later this week in order to help speed the recovery of the existing LPS and to prepare the tank for new inhabitants. He has new lights on their way to replace the current ones which are well overdue for changing.

Thats too bad about all the loss'.
Sorry I gotta just ask, what are you restoring?

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

That's ok...I had to drop the tank in the hands of somebody totally inexperienced, and I really didn't have the time to get over there and do the maintenance like I would have liked to. It's my own fault really, she did the best she could with it mostly.

Sorry I gotta just ask, what are you restoring?

More of a ponycar than a true musclecar...the last of the big cubic inch Firebirds...1979 Trans Am 6.6L hardtop...

Attachments

• JS 002.jpg
    JS 002.jpg
    67.6 KB
Last edited:
Back