In-sump skimmer purchase advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

IWishIWasAFish

Anybody with more know-how than me care to help me get a new skimmer? I'd love to have some suggestions on good skimmer choices, or even to be pointed at one someone here is selling, since paying for a brand-new one is not an option for me. It may turn out not to be possible, but 'd really like to get something for under $100.

I just upgraded from a 37g no-sump to a 55g+15g sump, and I need an in-sump skimmer to replace my Octopus HOB skimmer. (FYI, I'd happily trade/sell the old one to someone. )

Sump is about 28'' long, maybe 14'' wide and perhaps 16'' of height available for skimmer+cup. I'll be able to measure exactly tomorrow, and I should probably wait to post until then, but my willpower is low ;) Water level in the sump fluctuates. I would very much prefer a skimmer that could operate in a minimum of 6 inches of water.

Bioload is not particularly high. 2 clownfish, a banggai cardinal, a scooter blenny, 2 small fish(thinking a dottyback or pseudochromis and an alleni damsel) to be added later, cleaner crew, cleaner shrimp, anemone, lots of corals and filter feeders. Sump is refugium with lots of caulerpa. Total live rock in sump+DT is about 70 pounds. About 1'' live sand bed in each.

Thank you!

I got a cpr skimmer used and upgrated the pump to a maxijet 2100 and ill tell you what it works great for way under a $100 bucks bet it would run a 100 gallon tank just fine, I put it in the fuge in about 11 inches of water and the pump sits about two inches below that, you just have to mod the pump and it's awesome!

she already owns a hob skimmer more powerful than a modded bakpak...

what she needs is like a used euroreef rs-80/100, or octopus 150, and both of those skimmers could be had for about $100 used if not a little less.

Talk to skimmerwhisperer. He has a shop set up now and a forum here in the sponsors section, Green Skimmers.

He can hook you up with a great skimmer, and really knows his stuff.

He sells SWC (Salt Water Connection.)

I have one in my tank now, and it is awesome. Haven't heard anything bad about them yet. Good prices too. Tons of bubbles

I use an Eshopps PSK-75 in my 10G sump under my 55G reef. It has a small footprint and does a great job skimming. It is also very easy to adjust unlike my Red Sea Belrin x2 that kept overflowing all over my floor. Those skimmers aren't worth the time or headache IMO. Go with Eshopps and save a couple bucks.

Thank you all. I so much appreciate the input of people with more know-how than myself on this. It's quite frustrating to lack the time to learn more about skimmers, but I do.

As it turns out, I have 25'' of height available under my stand. Sadly, that rules out the Octopus(a tragedy indeed, since one is being sold her right now!) The others would fit just fine. I shall commence lurking upon the sale forum and CL.

I did mention this to Skimerwhisperer. He modded my current Octopus skimmer, which is awesome(if only I could remember what type it is ;), and he was quite helpful - though I couldn't remember what he said and didn't want to pester him again.

Talk to skimmerwhisperer. He has a shop set up now and a forum here in the sponsors section, Green Skimmers.

He can hook you up with a great skimmer, and really knows his stuff.

He sells SWC (Salt Water Connection.)

I have one in my tank now, and it is awesome. Haven't heard anything bad about them yet. Good prices too. Tons of bubbles

gracias... :)
yes, she's looking for something used for a little less money, the new SWC skimmers i stock that are in sump skimmers are all cones, so a little more than she has budgeted for.

for a new skimmer, like someone else mentioned, it probably doesnt get any cheaper that the eshopps psk 100($10 more than the psk-75, so why not)
at $129 which would be plenty for a 55g
http://premiumaquatics.com/store/me...Product_Code=ES-PSK-100&Category_Code=es-skim

Thanks Skimerwhisperer. Those skimmers you have are indeed lovely, but I'm lucky to be able to buy anything right now. I'll hold out for a bit looking for a used one, than probably buy that Eshopps.

Back