In tank vs. HOB skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jinoue

I have a FOWLR 75 gallon tank that I'm looking to add a protein skimmer to. There is no sump, and no room to add one so that's not an option.

I'm concerned about having a HOB sitting outside my tank and dumping water everywhere.

I'm looking at a Reef Octopus BH1000, or BH100t (auto top off and in-tank pump intrigue me).

I'm also considering getting some in-tank skimmers (like the aquaticlife mini skimmer that's needle wheel driven).

I'm curious of thoughts.

I've been running the RO BH-1000 and can not praise it enough. Especially for it's external pump and how well it skims, plus it's quit :)
I've yet to experience any thing like it overflowing and I haven't heard of this one doing so.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

I've also heard good things about the reef Octopus though have not used one myself. I do have and recommend the Eshopps HOB, also have an external pump which keeps most of the clutter out of the tank. I used it for a couple years on my last 75g system and continue to use it on my QT.

Cheers, Todd

I think you just have to read a lot more reviews about HOB skimmers with external pumps. It can occur, but I seldomly read about overflows when I researched it. The product must have been damaged or user error cause overflow.

The in-tank pump is kinda of an eye sore, but its more of a peace of mind.

Again read more reviews (via google) to shape your views of external vs internal pump. I prefer external pump with a separate auto top off ;)

I've already spent 2 months researching, I'm asking here because I wanted to hear reviews from people who have used them.

I've already spent 2 months researching, I'm asking here because I wanted to hear reviews from people who have used them.

This is JMO but you definitely DO NOT want a skimmer IN your tank. Besides being just plain ugly a skimmer big enough and worth its weight for your 75 would take up much needed space.
A friend built me a pre-skimmer acrylic box for mine. So I get the added benefits of surface skimming without the need for an overflow :)
mezy8a7u.jpg

a9utumuz.jpg

umy2umus.jpg

My canister filters have surface skimming so I'll just something to the back of my tank. I guess I'm most concerned about having a box of water hanging outside my tank. I dont want to come home with half my tank on the floor one day.

My canister filters have surface skimming so I'll just something to the back of my tank. I guess I'm most concerned about having a box of water hanging outside my tank. I dont want to come home with half my tank on the floor one day.

Dude you a 75g box of water as is but if your gonna worry about it get an intank skimmer and be done with it!!

I have been using an AquaMaxx HOB-1 skimmer for 2 years now, I love it and it looks good. I got it from Marine Depot. It has always been a hard worker but might be a little small for a 75 gallon. It says it is good up to an 80 gallon but I think I would want one a little larger one to handle that size.

This is JMO but you definitely DO NOT want a skimmer IN your tank. Besides being just plain ugly a skimmer big enough and worth its weight for your 75 would take up much needed space.
A friend built me a pre-skimmer acrylic box for mine. So I get the added benefits of surface skimming without the need for an overflow :)
mezy8a7u.jpg

a9utumuz.jpg

umy2umus.jpg

NanaReefer, How do you account for the tanks evaperation with the skimming box? Wounldn't the box run dry as the tanks water evaperates and the levels drop?

I use the jbj ato with a Tom Aquatics lifter pump-I have 1 float valve placed in the DT-when level drops ato kick on and brings it back up-the level in the skimmer box does drop sightly with the tank level but not enough for it to run dry-as a precaution I'll be drilling a couple small holes in the box just above the intake should for whatever reason the level get to low.
Also the box is attached via some heavy duty reef safe magnets, which allows for adjustments if needed. :)

Last edited:
Back