In your opinion what is the best HOB skimmer?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
Just wondering what people consider the best HOB skimmer. I may upgrade my skimmer since I just upgraded my lights. I don't have room for a sump and don't want a siphon overflow so I'm just strictly looking for a good HOB for my seahorse tank. I do understand everyone has their own opinions so if you could state the size tank your "favorite" HOB skimmer is on, what you like or don't like about it, and if you've tried any other HOB's for comparison. Thanks in advance for any comments!

Hey Becky! I've always heard great things about the AquaC Remora skimmers. Never personally tried one but I have the AquaC nano skimmer on the way which is basically the baby version of it and got it because again, heard great things about it. Other than that, I've seen the Octopus H.O.T skimmer mentioned a few times here lately, but not sure what type of feedback it got. Good luck!:)

It seems like whenever I ask this question, people answer with the Remora or the Remora Pro. How do y'all think it compares with the CPR?? That's what I currently have on my tank. It's a 37g tall BTW.

i think they are probly close. i think crp is trying there best to copy aqua C's new skimmer line, but the copy right stuff hard id imagine when your tryin 2 make something like that

aqua c, kinda hit it on the head. and im sure theres a lot of others that want to be like that.

what CRP do you have?

I have the Backpack 2 I think... I bought the prefilter box, but it's so big, black and ugly.... Short of adding an overflow and sump, there's nothing much I can do about that.

Hey Becky, I have been doing aquarium service the past 13 months and after seeing the Remora's output of skimmate compared to that of the CPR. I would definately go w/the Remora. I have seen alot of problems w/the CPR not skimming effienctly and sometimes not at all. It seems the BakPak's always need a little tweaking to get them to work.

same here...aqua c is a premium HOB. the coralife skimmers are good but i have heard of them leaking in HOB mode.

deltec has their new hang on skimmer for $275, from what people have said about them, they rock!! but i havent seen them personally yet, and i would like to get this octopus hang on, but i dont think this version is for sale here, yet..

first pic is the new octopus nw hang on, second is the new deltec

Deltec has one!??? I have heard great things about their quality, but didn't know they had a HOB skimmer! I will look more into that one :) Thanks for the tip.

the deltec pictured is their new smaller more affordable hang on the mce300 ($275),
they have had a hang on model for about 3-4 years now, the mce600, you can see it if you go to the deltec page in the sponsor list, it costs about $400 though, but it is the best hang on skimmer.....at least until euroreef comes out with thier new hang on , it was suppose to come out this month but i think they will probably just get them out in time for chrismas

My LFS had one of these running on a display - Bermuda Aquatics Archipelago Hang-on Protein Skimmer w/ FREE SEDRA PUMP! - The bubbles looked pretty fine and had some skimmate in the cup BUT it did let some of the micro bubbles back into the tank. Here is the store link http://www.toofishy.com/product.php?productid=80331&cat=0&page=1
I personally do not have any exp with this type but I did like the overall design just need to get better bubble separation

i have the cpr bak pak 2 on my 55 gal and i like it. thats my 2 cents worth for the day.
Thanks for your 2 cents brady :) I am relatively happy with my CPR but am wondering if there is anything better out there so I have an excuse to upgrade :lol:

Well, I was able to get in on the first MCE 300 shipment. There were only 25 shipped in the first batch. Anyways, I just put it together and got it up and running. I am pleased at how quiet this skimmer runs. It makes a LOT less noise than the CPR backpak. I will keep y'all posted on how it skims, but so far I am pleased.

I'm tagging along! I have a Remora Pro on a 55 and love it! I was going to put two of them on my project that is still under construction, however if there are better HOB's then I want to know all about it!

I'm still really pleased with the skimmer. It's quiet, the bubbles in the chamber are very dense and small, and the skimmate collecting in the cup is much darker than I used to get. I guess I will be able to tell more after the 24hr mark like the instructions said, but so far I am pleased with the new Deltec HOB.

beckmola,
well, the fact that it's skimming at all before 24 hours is pretty awesome in itself!!
please post some pics, and if you could, tell us which pump is in there,and if it's a needle wheel pump. pics of the venturi and pump impellar is what im really after!!!:) sounds like it's doin g awesome!!

Back