Indirect natural sunlight question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Xanthus

Moving in just about twelve days now, and taking my 55 galon marine fish-only tank with me. :D

The apartment I'm moving into has a really nice solarium that would be a perfect spot for the tank, but there's a catch: the tank would be right next to multiple windows.

Now, I could easily keep the blinds closed during the day, but some amount of sunlight would still creep into the room. Do I need to find a different place for the tank, or is this really insignificant?

sounds like a great spot to me. provided.

do you have any live rock or sand?

a good protein skimmer?

do you monitor your nitrate levels. what are the?

any pictures you can post?

corals are farmed in greenhouses under natural light.

how hot does it get in there? what might your high water temps be? do you have a chiller?

Carl

It should be fine, but heat could be an issue. I know in mine it gets pretty hot.

MIke

Carloskoi said:
sounds like a great spot to me. provided.

do you have any live rock or sand?

a good protein skimmer?

do you monitor your nitrate levels. what are the?

any pictures you can post?

corals are farmed in greenhouses under natural light.

how hot does it get in there? what might your high water temps be? do you have a chiller?

Carl
Honestly have no idea how hot it gets, but to give you an idea I'm moving to Florida. Will definitely have air conditioning though.

It's a fish only tank, no corals, nothing but dried-out base rock at the moment. Nitrate levels fluxuate but are generally pretty low.

The protein skimmer is a POS that I've been wanting to replace for a while now, sadly.

Question: the base rock in my tank is decently populated with red algae. Should I clean them off when I move, or is there anything on there that's beneficial?

EDIT: I may run up my bills with the A/C though. :(

EDIT2: Ah, I forgot to mention, I do have aragonite Carb Sea grade reef sand. If that makes any difference.

Last edited:
Back