Inflating anemone tentacles

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kevnkev

Dirona
After my long tentacled anemone split off a daughter several weeks ago, the tentacles of the mother anemone started inflating, twisting and bifrucating. I know anemone splitting is pretty common, so I'm curious if anyone else with a LTA has experienced similar oddities with their anemones after splitting? I assumed that the odd tentacles would disappear after a while, but if anything it seems like the oddball tentacles are getting larger and more robust.

This photo shows one of the inflated tentacles on the left, and the twisty one's on the right.
4YPqo.jpg

Are you sure that you have a LTA because what I know about them is that they dont split. If you have a good picture of the mouth and foot for good ID that would help a lot. But from that picture Im willing to bet that you have a BTA.

It's been showing off its mouth for the last several days, and of course now it decides to hunker down so I can't get a good picture. It was id'd for me based on a verbal description, so it's very possible it may not actually be the LTA I thought it was. I always thought BTAs had bulbous tips though.

While I wait for my nem to oen back up for a good mouth shot, here are some pictures I found on the web

This is what I always thought BTAs looked like:
bubble-tip-anemone-bulbs.jpg

But then continued googling turned up this picture, claiming it is a BTA. This one looks just like mine:
8.5percula.jpg

Holy cow, that's quite the difference! I would've thought those were two different species.

It's foot is way back in a crevice, but it finally presented a good mouth view:
IMG_6009.jpg

Back