Info on PVC Board

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Krish

RF STAFF
I've had quite a few people ask me about what I use for my bare bottom tanks. I've always used what is called PVC board that I buy from the local plastic/acrylic store here which looks similar to starboard commonly used on boats (slightly different), but I figured I'd call my buddy today and find out exactly what pvc board is.

According to him it is just what the name states..."PVC board." It is basically pvc pipe, made in a flat sheet like plastic or arylic sheets come. It is commonly used to make signs by sign shops which they would stick vinyl stickers to. I did a google search and when I started to type in pvc board, Home Depot and Lowe's came up so you guys may find it there. Other than that, check with your local sign shops or plastic/acrylic shops. Probably more than likely a sign shop will be your best bet. I guess the reason they have it in their shop is because they also own a sign shop here that is on the side of their acylic/plastic business.

For those who have never heard of the stuff or seen what it looks like, here are a few shots of some of my old tanks with it. Hope the info helps! :)

My old 75gal. This shot shows it after it was siliconed down.

How it looks in the tank. Main reason I went with this is I wanted the illusion of sand in the tank from a distance without using sand (I love flow too much) and also, to protect the tank from falling rocks. I don't tie strap or glue any rocks together, but rather just stack them so I need the extra protection just incase a rock fell.

Being siliconed down in my Aquapod I chopped up.

The look in the tank. Depending on how crazy your coraline grows, it will probably eventually turn purple if you don't keep it clean. I always scraped what grew each week just to keep the bottom white. :)

I've also done a 38 gal cube that held up really well and a 10 gal nano with this stuff. Never got to set up the nano as a friend bought it, but I'm sure it will stand the test of time once again. Also, you can look into the cutting board material. :)

Last edited:
PVC sheet works great, as does Starboard. I supply both white, grey and black in .250" thick. Starboard is the most UV resistant. UHMW is very not UV resistant, but cheaper. Jason

PVC sheet works great, as does Starboard. I supply both white, grey and black in .250" thick. Starboard is the most UV resistant. UHMW is very not UV resistant, but cheaper. Jason

Well guys, there you have it. Everyone is always asking where to get it now you have a source. :)

A carbide tipped tables saw blade, or router. But if the edge will not be seen, a jig saw would do in a pinch.

I "borrowed" this idea for my 180 reef and like it. I can use a canister with a polishing filter to "vac" all the nasties away (yes, I should increase flow...). I went with an ABS in 3/32 for the bottom as it is very thin w/"hair-cell" finish (and cheap). I am thinking about expanding to a PVC wall and will look up options.

Back