Information overload!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MattinIdaho

I have used the search function and checked out stuff all over the internet but there is just sooooo much information that sometimes I can't find a specific answer.
Right now I am just about to start setting up my tank. I have some good books and the help of some great people I have met but I would love a really good book that shows pictures of some of the corals and fish that would be compatible so that I could sit down and start researching specific species.
I have a 120 gallon tank that we are going to use for a reef system.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a specific book or books that would be good for this info?
Thanks!!

For a general book, very informative, I'd suggest "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist: A Commonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyists" by Robert Fenner

As a good fish guide, "A PocketExpert Guide to Marine Fishes: 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species" by Scott W. Michael

For a coral book, Oh man, there's a few I'd recommend, but I'd start with "Book of Coral Propagation, Volume 1 Edition 2: Reef Gardening for Aquarists" by Anthony Calfo

Some other great resources would be:

Here, on Reef Frontiers

Wetwebmedia

Click on our Library link button on top of the screen. It has pretty much all of the articles ever published on the web all in one spot.

On a side note it is pretty hard to soak up everything that needs to be none right away when it comes to starting a reef tank. At this point it is best to concentrate on the basics of cycleing, equipment and so on for your start. So work these areas and then make a determination on what you want your tank to be eventually (as in what kind of corals/fish and so on). Once you get past these you can work towards the balance.

Mojo

+1 on above advice, but what I think your asking is for a book that shows successful reef setups ??? If so check out Michael S Paletta's book Ultimate Marine Aquariums - 'saltwater dream systems and how they are created'. It has 50 setups in total showing great pics plus Aquarium profile including water parameters, circulation, filtration, lighting, livestock etc... The old saying A picture is worth a thousand words is well suited for this hobby and seeing what actually works together/co-habitates is a big plus.

Todd

+1 on above advice, but what I think your asking is for a book that shows successful reef setups ??? If so check out Michael S Paletta's book Ultimate Marine Aquariums - 'saltwater dream systems and how they are created'. It has 50 setups in total showing great pics plus Aquarium profile including water parameters, circulation, filtration, lighting, livestock etc... The old saying A picture is worth a thousand words is well suited for this hobby and seeing what actually works together/co-habitates is a big plus.

Todd

Perfect!! That is exactly what I was looking for. I really love all of the research and planning that goes into this. This sounds like just what I am looking for right now. I think things will be much easier for me to digest if I have some ideas and can read what has worked in different setups.
Thanks for the help and suggestions from everyone!!

I too, love that book...it's perfect!!
allows you to read about the equipment and methods of stable, sucessful reef systems.
And you get to read about their troubleshooting, and what they would do differently,
and that friends, is priceless!!

I found a new copy on ebay shipped for $17. I'm really looking forward to receiving it. I have ordered several books due to the advice of helpful people on this site. Thanks for all of the great suggestions!! Keep them coming.

Back