Interesting Coral Banded Shrimp behavior!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

fall0n

So I got lucky when i bought my coral banded shrimp in that it seems that they are a pair. From the moment I received them, they've always hung out together in the same area with no issues. The (what I assume is female) over the past month or so has been getting really *plump*. I'm sure she is building up a pile of eggs in her. Now to the interesting part. So as per usual, I was doing some hand feeding to the large brittle stars and anemones - which consist of me thawing out feeding pieces of squid. The smaller (male) Coral Banded Shrimp actually came down from their spot and went toe-to-toe with the brittle star. Ultimately snapping up the tasty morsel and brought it up to the female. The rest of the night I noted that he held that piece and kept sharing it with her. I didn't know that they had this type of care taking behavior. Is really fascinating to watch through.

**And for you starfish lovers out there - I gave him a new piece which it promptly wrapped it leg around and pulled it under the rocks where it lives.

Also, As we all know, this will make for a feeding frenzy for the fish, corals and other inverts, Should I try to trap and put them in my sump? What's the chances that any of the young will survive in a captive tank?

Wow, that is very cool. I think my coral banded fell victim to an anemone, if any of the fry survive.

I have never heard or people raising coral banded fry, but sounds cool. Love those guys. Feel free to throw some tiny ones in my 20 gal fuge if you find it may help. It is low flow and full of pods

That's pretty cool. You can usually distinguish males and females by one having a purple underside and the other one not having it. I have always had at least one coral bandit shrimp in my tanks, but never a pair so couldn't say for sure what to expect in the future if she does in fact lay eggs and they hatch. I've seen them really small here out in the wild so I'd imagine they'd make a nice snack if left in the tank. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, that is very cool. I think my coral banded fell victim to an anemone, if any of the fry survive.

I have never heard or people raising coral banded fry, but sounds cool. Love those guys. Feel free to throw some tiny ones in my 20 gal fuge if you find it may help. It is low flow and full of pods

I'll keep that in mind, as I'm sure she'll be deploying the eggs sometime soon. We've watched her get bigger and bigger, the Belly is HUGE!

Hey Jason, very cool and they were the pair I caught in a huge tidepool on the South Shore just West of Oahu when there in September. Like Krish have kept several BCS but never a pair, though had several Cleaner Shrimp young survive over the years in my fuge/sump. On the night of release you can place a flashlight above tank next to your overflow to attract and send on down to fuge. If you have any Cardinals they will also be there to intercept.

Cheers, Todd

Yeah Todd, thanks Again! They've been great pals the entire time so far. Always hanging out with each other. Was neat to see the male bring tasty foods to the female. I'll keep that in mind, would be cool to try and keep some to see if they can last.

Back