Interesting maxi-jet mod

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mfinn

Surgeonfish
I found this thread on rc about how to mod a maxi-jet powerhead to give it a wide stream instead of a narrow stream.
This is really amazing how much it changes the maxi-jet. The maxi-jets are really a great little powerhead but the flow is a little to focused. This mod makes the water come out in a very wide pattern and some people claim more flow. I don't have any way to prove it or disprove it, but I like what this does.
Here are a few pictures.
I did have to make a new way to attach it to the glass because the suction cup bracket won't work.

wow, is that a single magnet? Nice mod. Still low profile. Would love to see it in action.

Mat

bc_slc said:
wow, is that a single magnet? Nice mod. Still low profile. Would love to see it in action.

Mat

The magnets I used for my holder are 2- 1"x3/8" neodymium magnets. One inside and one outside.

bc_slc said:
Would love to see it in action.

Mat

The pictures really don't do it justice.
I have that powerhead 4" below the surface.
The first picture is when it's off and the second picture is when it's on.
The powerhead is not aimed at the surface. It is going straight out.
I can replace two of the existing maxi-jets with just one of these.

That's really neat Martin! That last picture is insane with all that surface aggitation! Really cool man and maxi jets are sooo in-expensive! Soon time for a full tank shot man! It looks like your tank is jammed pack with corals! Thanks for sharing the mod:)

Do you have any other powerheads in your tank to compare this to? I would like your oppinion on this mod vs, say a seio or something similar.
I have a MJ 1200 I would love to mod.

Tim

Yes it is getting packed.
I'm going for that full monti look.

No problem with that man...Will corals growing out too much do the same thing as a trees root would do to concrete if it grew under it? If so...Never mind:p

I believe it has more flow than the stock maxi-jet 1200, but that is just guessing. I have no way to prove or disprove it.
Check out the thread at rc. Lot of people are talking about it.
I would compare it to a seio just because of the type of flow it delivers.
The water is forced out at( I'm just guessing) about a 30 to 45 degree angle in all directions.
I have another one right now in a 20 gallon tank. I had a seio 620 in it before. I would have to say that the maxi-mod creates more water movement.

The guy that did it did great work. Very detailed. Like alot of diy projects, cheap parts but alot of labor.

I'm not sure what tools he used. I would think a chop saw would be one to get all the vents and then maybe a dremel for the rib that fits into the body.

The Full Monti... that's good! I don't think anyone else caught that.
Great idea... My maxijet 1200's seem like they should push more water than they do. Course the buildup on their intake screen doesn't help. Why is it the tangs never finish that last bite? Tang leavings are clogging all my powerheads!
Kate

IMO...MJ900s are much more efficient.

That mod has been around for awhile, and I have to say, it is a nice one :) Like Marty has said, it is a lot of work, but man, the results have been nice from what I hear.

Best,
Ilham

Back