Internal closed loop?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

steven11

Somethingotherthannormal!
Any one done this? Would you do it again? And if so, what would you change?

I have a tank that is three feet front to back and a ton of rockwork to hid a pump and plumbing behind. I would love to get rid the 5 monster powerheads. So here are my options.

Option one - over the back closed loop. Positive is that the pump is accessible and minimal heat exchange but the negative is that there will be a lot of visible plumbing.

Option two - internal closed loop. Positive is that I can use a smaller pump since the head pressure is minimal. Negative is the heat exchange and the pump is not easily accessible.

Third option - Vortechs... Positive is they are the quite and use very little power compared to pumps used in option 1 & 2. Negative will be the initial cost for these will be high but operating cost will be far less. The unknown to me is will they give me the flow I am looking for?

I know I am being general here and I am not looking to do a whole tank overhaul. Thanks for you input.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I like the compromise of an internal closed loop. External loops and having the plumbing foul which can be a medium to serious annoyance to clean.

I happen to have a MarineLand 5500 (1,384 GPH) I was thinking about using. The flow number is low in comparison to even a basic power head these days but the pressure and ability to pipe water to the far end should help circulation.

10574176.jpg

I think I am going to go with an over the back closed loop. It will be the easiest solution to get what I am looking for.

No, I changed my avatar from my phone and couldn't crop it right. I can't afford 7 hundo for a power head. Jess takes all my money.

Back