Introducing small clownfish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Tbremer

I went to the LFS yesterday and picked up a small 3/4" true percula clownfish. I introduced him to a tank with one female true perc about 3" a flame fin tang, a flame angel a green mandrin and a foxed faced rabbit fish along with 6 hermit crabs. Upon introducing the small clown was chased around by the larger one. and a day later I found the small one dead on the sand being eaten up by one of the hermit crabs.

I would like to try this again but I would like some suggestions for the next time.

Im thinking about placing the new clown in a QT for a couple of weeks letting him eat and get some strength up then place the larger clown in the QT for a couple of weeks to allow them time to mate up.

When ideas or comments would be appreciated

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I moved your thread to Lee's forum to see if he has any tips/suggestions for you. I know in some cases, re-arranging the rockwork a bit helps as fish can become territorial especially damsels that were introduced first.

Good luck with the next one! :)

My suggestion is if you have a quarantine tank, is to quarantine any new fish you get before putting it in your DT to make sure it’s not going to introduce anything to jeopardize your other fish.
Then as the little clown was being acclimated to the DT, I would take the bigger clown out of the DT and put it in the QT. Do a slight rearranging of the rock work and a week later place the bigger clown back in the DT. That would give the little guy some time to establish his territory and the bigger clown might give way to him and get along thinking he was there first.

Not saying it will work, but it’s a shot and this is what I would try.

I have two big females and a small gsm, all are in their own separate tanks and I know if I was to introduce another clown with any of them, it would not be pretty! My saddle back is 4”+ long. Shes a big girl. She killed a chromis I put in with her. I wont even attempt to try to put another clown in with any of them.
I want a Latz clown really bad, but...I wont get rid of any of the ones I have and can not put one in with them. Maybe one day. I have another thank that I might set up.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

What about when i add the small one to the DT i add some sort of LPS along with him to mimic an anenome

The funny thing with clownfish in captivity is even if they are provided with an anemone, they won't always host it. I had clowns that would never ever go near to my anemone. Then on that same token, some will host anything. I've even seen them host a clump of hair algae in my cousins nano :lol:. You could add an LPS, but don't gamble on the fact that he will host it because he may not so I'd make sure you wouldn't mind having the LPS in your tank regardless if the clown hosts it or not. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't mention the size of your DT or at least I didn't notice it anywhere. If it is a small DT and with those fishes already there, the settled in Anemonefish might be trying to protect its resources. If the tank is sized properly for the pair and those others fishes, then the next step would be to use the QT system.

First, you want to quarantine all new fishes. See the sticky on that subject. For the next go around, I suggest an oversized QT (a 29 would be good). The new smaller fish would be put in it for the full quarantine process of 6 weeks. Since it is an Anemonefish I'd recommend treating it for Brook even if it doesn't display this condition. Also, as a new fish, de-worm the fish. See the sticky on that subject.

After the above is complete, move the larger fish into the QT with the smaller fish. Let them try going through the mating process without the other fishes around.

Not only tank size, but food and nutrition are triggers for fishes to react in a defensive way. You need to be sure your fishes are being fed properly, often enough, and the right quantity. Most hobbyists take a bit of offense to this last suggestion, but if you'll take the time to review the nutrition and feeding stickies, you may learn how to improve your fish's nutrition.

All the above, done diligently should do the trick. :)

Back