Ipod

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DonW

R.I.P.
My wife was talking about "pod casting" of her law lectures and journals. I was wondering if anyone has any advice they can share about these gizmos. Thought it might make a cool christmas gift for her.

Thanks
Don

I want one too. Probley going to be my next electronic purchase, with the car charger/ transmitter. Cruising down the road only listening to the songs I like instead of skipping thru cds and changing them. LOL

the new iPod nano is sweet. it's so small and compact and has a nice color screen. unfortunately i bought the older model but still love it. i have just started using podcasting and it's pretty sweet.

mattseattle said:
the new iPod nano is sweet. it's so small and compact and has a nice color screen. unfortunately i bought the older model but still love it. i have just started using podcasting and it's pretty sweet.

Thanks, I really have no clue what pod casting is, but sounded like something she wanted. Really sounds kind of boring listening to a bunch of lawyers yak while driving down the road. Do I need to get some sort of gizmo with it to do this "pod casting"?

Don

Pod Casting is a standard feature on iTunes. iTunes is the application that Apple gives you so you can synch songs/etc. from your computer to your iPod. So it's just part of the software. Your wife will 'subscribe' to the Pod Castings online and it will synch with the iPod when she puts it on the cradle. I hope that made sense. :)

mattseattle said:
Pod Casting is a standard feature on iTunes. iTunes is the application that Apple gives you so you can synch songs/etc. from your computer to your iPod. So it's just part of the software. Your wife will 'subscribe' to the Pod Castings online and it will synch with the iPod when she puts it on the cradle. I hope that made sense. :)

So it comes with everything needed? I saw a bose dock thing with speakers for her office. Is this a useful?

Don

it's a nice addition but not necessary.

you can play everything through your computer as well.

a car adapter is nice so you can play your ipod through your car radio.

mattseattle said:
it's a nice addition but not necessary.

you can play everything through your computer as well.

a car adapter is nice so you can play your ipod through your car radio.

Cool, one last question. Are they easy to use, she's a smart one but honestly has a hard time with the a/v remote.

Don

They are extremely easy to us or so I think. The iPod itself has a click wheel on it. The menus are laid out in a hierachy and very easy to navigate. The iTunes software is also pretty easy to navigate.

so yeah I think she could easily use it....

mattseattle said:
They are extremely easy to us or so I think. The iPod itself has a click wheel on it. The menus are laid out in a hierachy and very easy to navigate. The iTunes software is also pretty easy to navigate.

so yeah I think she could easily use it....

Thanks, christmas shopping is tough after 20 years.

Don

hehe - yeah i can imagine.....but then again it should be easier as you 'really' know the person! :)

so you could probably get away with the smaller version of the nano. is she going to use it strictly for pod casting or also for songs? i think the small one holds 500 or so songs.

I have the video and the 4th generation. If you want the ipod specifically for the "add on" equipment needed for pod casts, do not get the new video pod. It does not have the same functionality as the older generations. The "slot" if you will located beside the headphone jack on the video pod has been eliminated. With that removal, the funtionality of the many add on devices created for the ipod have been made obsolete. I for one think it was a tremedous mistake on the part of Apple but lets hope the next generation does indeed include built in bluetooth functionality to overcome that particular flaw.

Cheers
Steve

Just be delicate with them. They have a very small hard drive that does break...we're on the 3rd replacement Ipod at this point. They are great when they work right and Apple is good on support (until the 1 year runs out then you're on your own). All in all, a nice expensive toy...fits right in with reef keeping.

yeah, that is a plus of the Nano due to it does not have a hard drive and uses flash cards to store things.

but either way you drop it hard enough it's going to break. but the nano is so light that your earphones in your ears can support it.

Don,

I did a few informational pages about podcasting because I am podcasting our daily announcements.

http://www.ejhs.k12.vt.us/EHS/home/podcast/pod.shtml

There is a howto on the first page and the second page tells you how to listen to the podcasts without itunes. My tutorial is setup if you know the link to the podcast otherwise you can search for it in itunes as well.

She doesn't need the ipod to start listening to podcasts just some software. But they make nice presents getting a video for xmas I think.

Last edited:
Back