is 10hr photo period to long??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

so i have just about a month old nano (10g) and i have it as a 10hr photo period 9-7. well i was just wondering is that to long and is that why i have string (grass) algea growing on my rocks. i have 2 asteria snails but they jsut went in.

That's no too long IMO. I've seen people with 12 hour photo periods without any issues and some with a lot less. Your tank is still young and you will experience algae cycles so just hang tight. Less hours of lighting a day may limit it some, but we all experience it at some point. Just try and keep excess nutrients under control as the algae needs a food source as well as lighting to grow and allow the tank to mature which in time it will do. Just me 2 cents:)

Ten hours does not seem too bad imo.
Of course, algae needs light to grow but I've always treated nuisance algae as
a nutrient problem. Not sure cutting back on your photoperiod will make a significant enough of an impact.
I recently cleaned out my sump and checked some liverock with bubble and turf algae that I had placed there maybe 3-4 months ago.
The rock looked clean but I noticed a few bubble algae still round and inflated along with some thin patches of turf. Could not believe they could survive in the dark that long. If only corals were that tough.

Back