is 1200gph possible through 1 1/2' drain?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

matts125

is it possible to drain 1200 gph through a 1 1/2'' inch drain? if so what needs to be done and if not what is the max you can flow through a 1 1/2'' drain?

thanks for a speedy reply....

matt

Matt, your having one of two issues, either your not getting enough Air into the system or your inlet is restricting it, If your inlet drain has a Tee Or Elbow, take that off & see, It made a huge difference on mine & I had a 1,500 Whaoo pump on it wide open but had enough restrictions to slow it down enough to drain. Your Inlet should take in some air also, about 25% of the hole should be open to air along with the holes in the stockman stand pipe or whatever standpipe.

Ive got it figured out, I just needed to lower the stand pipe 1 inch, the water level rises about 1 inch above the pipe but then stays right there.

thanks scooty...

Matt

The top of the standpipe should be above the water level by several inches, unless this is a special standpipe, I'm confused LOL If it is the way you explained it they water could back up & spew through the air holes?

I am running a reeflow dart 3000gph with head loss and a little giant 1000 gph after loss through a 11/2 drain with a duroso and that is max for my overflow but 4000 gph through my sump makes for clean h2o

One thing I'm not seeing listed is how many linear inches of overflow is there on the over flow box? Regardless of how big the pipe is, doesen't this effect how much flow is really even possible?

I am running a reeflow dart 3000gph with head loss and a little giant 1000 gph after loss through a 11/2 drain with a duroso and that is max for my overflow but 4000 gph through my sump makes for clean h2o

You are pushing 4000 gph through a 1.5 inch pipe and that same 4000 through your sump? Im sorry but I highly doubt a single 1.5 inch pipe would flow 4000 gph heck I don't think you can flow that much through 2, 1.5 inch pipes. Does your sump sound like white water rapids with that much flow?

Last edited:
ya..... doesnt sounds right...

on the other hand im trying to figure out why we are haveing the "who has the greatest flow" contest...

i think you can get better life in your sump with a lower flow.. and useing a closed loop or some high powered powerheads...

Just my though
with a 1.5" with out looking at any calculators i would should for 1000-1200
my thought is, In a large sump with a nice flow.. you are giveing your sump time to work

Well I know I am the knig of flow so no contest ( jk not really ) anyway I drilled the 1.5 inch pipe myself and like I said I have a reeflow dart and a little giant , it all started with having a lot of particulate in the water I was running 2 ilwakis approx 2000 gph through a 100 gallon sump into a 270 gallon tank It just wasnt enough so I upgraded pumps I mean even in worst case sanario it is 3500 gph on a bad day with pluged inlet screens and it drains fine through an 8-10 foot tube.. I know hes tryng to get as much as is possible with out going over so I was just trying to say that the setup I am running seems to be the limit of flow amount through a 1.5 inch pipe which I think answers the orginal question ( how much flow is possible and is 1200 gph to much) long and short I guess would be no and 3500-400 gph oh and sump is quiet as can be overflow just a little noise

Back