Is 62" TO TALL?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

marlinmero

Marlin
I'm 6'4 and hate having to bend way over to see my tank so before i set it up i raised it by placing 4x4's underneath the 2x4 and half inch plywood base. Then when i went to put the skimmer in i was an inch short. so i had to add another 2x4 on the top half of the base. then to give it more strength i added a strip of 3/4" pressure treated plywood. i was afraid the 1 1/4" steel legs pushing into the middle of the 2x4 could cause it to split. but now i'm scared it's all going to be to top heavy. So im thinking about adding some heavy duty L brackets to hold the stand to the base. What do you guys think?
OH Yeah everything is screwed together with 3" deck screws
http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu300/marlinmero/180%20gallon%20aggresive%20tank/20121207_203230.jpg
http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu300/marlinmero/180%20gallon%20aggresive%20tank/20121207_203352.jpg

Absolutely not. That looks like a grate height. As long as you can still get into it to do maintenance.

The guy I got my 180 from, had another 180 gal tank that the stand was, I believe 46-48" tall. Making the top of the tank at 58-60" tall. It made it great for viewing the tank. But yeah, you have to use a step stool to get into it.

I agree bout the legs on the edge of the wood. Id be nervous about filling it up with rock and water just to watch the steel start cutting through the edge. I woulda probably put the steel stand in the middle of the 2x4s. For the how high it is, i wouldnt worry bout it falling over.

Last edited:
Thanks, yeah i was worried about that to. i did it that way cause i plan on putting a big piece of plexi glasss painted black all the around held on by magnets. give it a modern look. so i needed the legs pretty close to the edge.
Im thinking about either adding a few pieces of metal under the legs or some nice heavy duty L brackets. i would like metal but makes me worried it might slide easier across metal

If the legs do hold, and that is a big if. I would worry about the stress on the tank whether it is glass of acrylic. You figure each piece of wood has a different density, which means that some will give more then others. Being that all of the weight of the tank will be on 4x1" feet. If for some reason the right leg dips even a tenth of an inch lower then the others it can cause a catastrophic failure of the glass, or the seams. Just does not look safe to me. I would rethink it

I would not feel very comfortable with legs that close to the edge of the wood.
I know you already built the bottom part and have some $ invested, but I would rethink the progress so far.
We do have earthquakes once in a while that will move even the heaviest items around and with your metal legs that close to the
edge..............

Looks like you have a SSA skimmer.
Which one?

Last edited:
Agree with Martin, in maybe rethinking things. Just build the stand taller maybe? I went that route and you will be stoked not to have to bend over to view your tank. My stand is 42" tall and the top of tank is chin level to me and I'm 6'1".

Not only the issue with the legs maybe slipping off the edge, but with all the weight of the stand is going to be holding, those legs are going to start depressing into the wood and possibly split the wood and you will not be able to level the tank besides other hazards, like a seam popping. I would suggest setting the stand on some steal plates on at least a 3/4" sheet of plywood on the floor then building up between the stand and the tank with wood. And you can shim the the wood part to level the tank a little easier.

I just went to Lowes and bought a 4' piece 1/8th inch angle iron. going to cut it into 8" pieces and secure that to the wood then the metal stand to angle iron

Back