Is CPR Overflow Box Foam Filter Required?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Zenoah1439

I've had a CPR overflow box running on my tank for a month or so now. Its been making "gurgling" noises constantly since i got it running and tonight I decided to try cleaning out the little foam filter over the bulkhead out to see if that might have something to do with it. Much to my surprise, as soon as i removed the foam filter the box ran completely silent. I cleaned the filter out, but as soon as its placed back in it starts gurgling again.

I'm thinking about just running it without the filter, but what problems may be associated with doing this? Anyone have experience either way (filter on or off) on these CPR boxes?

When I ran a CPR overflow, I tossed my sponge eventually. That and all of the sponges in my system including the ones that sat on pumps. I think of sponges as little biofilters/nitrate factories if not cleaned or changed regularly so off they all went. Never had an issue either. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Krish,

I figured it would be OK, but didn't want to come home and find out otherwise with a bunch of water on the living room floor.

Everything looked good this morning before I left, so I'm probabaly just going to run without it. Thanks again.

I ran cpr 90 on my 75 gal fowlr for three years with no sponge. Never a problem. The only sponge I keep is in my sump for emergencies in case I have to set up hospital tank fAST. iNSTANT COLONIES NO CYCLYING INVOLVED THAT WAY

Yup, sponge is not needed in CPR overflow.

Will, buy a few bioballs, use place those in your sump instead, does the same thing, less surface area than a sponge so its less of a nitrate factory.

Nick

Have probably a 32 gallon trash can full of bio balls I used to use them in sump for wet dry on 75 gallon fowlr. Now only use that tank for hyposalinity hospital tank. Now am running 180 gallon reef setup with liverock only in sump I keep small sponge in sump for quick start up of 75. So I will not get cycle in hosp. tank:ranger:

Back