Is it ok to use this live rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

JIvePhotography

Green Bubble
I have a large chunk of LR that I put into a 6 gallon Kent Salt bucket about 6 months ago with salt water. The bucket has just been sitting in my garage, no circulation or heater. The rock had hair algae on it and I couldn't use it on my new tank.

Well I just looked in the bucket and there are some sponges that have grown on it and a slimy film on the water surface. I want to take the rock and smash it up and make some half spheres of LR about the size of a half baseball or softball. I"ll use these to put zoas on so they can grow into cool globes as they've gotten too big for their frag plugs.

Is this rock going to be ok to use, not sure if it lost any curing or if its still live or not. I can buy some small chunks at the LFS but I'd like to use this piece I have if I can, but only if its ok to put into my system.

Advice please :)

I don't see any reason why you couldn't. I have had rubble rocks sit in buckets for months with no heater or water pump and I often use them to mount frags and place in the DT with no worries.

you should be fine so long as you do not put them all in at one time.

You could even smash them up and boil them to make it a base or dead rock. Let them dry and just use as needed.

I like the thought of Boiing but. As long as your not putting it all in at once id say youd be ok. Ive done it with rock thats just sat outside. Broken it and boiled small pieces to use to mount frags.

+1 more
just clean what your using of any loose leftovers.
I put some rock in my first tank that had been in a bucket for 6 months with no heat and mushrooms and purple and green coraline algae started growing on it in about 2 months time. It was the only rock in the tank.

Back