Is it possible?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

idgy

Ok, I am back with more questions on ICH. I wrote a few weeks back on my fish having ICH. Ok, well several week have gone by since I noticed the scratching. But none of them ever got white spots. What I thought was ich on one fish turned out to be a speck of sand. No fish ever got any white spots. But every so often I still see them scratching on something. Not a lot of the time. They are eating like pigs, their behavior is normal.

I did read everything that people reffered me too. So I am a bit confused. No white spots. Could it be something else?

Scratching is usually indication of something irritating the skin. If I remember your other thread you have them in QT now and are treating with hypo. If it where me I'd continue this treatment until the 6-8 weeks is up. Just to be on the safe side. No reason to cut it short only to have to start over again.

Thanks, Herefishyfishy. Interesting article.

The article states some positive results and posibilities pertaining to the use of Garlic.

"I have seen garlic juice do the following: Sometimes create a kind of frenzy (agitation) in the fishes
Work as a weak antimicrobial agent,..."

"But if the fish absorbs some in its mouth before it swallows it, it can provide a weak antimicrobial effect."

"Garlic juice has some topical benefits. Because it is antimicrobial in nature, it can and does slow down/retard secondary, bacterial infections..."

"It's interesting to note that the work with garlic juice has shown some affects with its ability to provide some antimicrobial effects..."

"But. . .He makes his own? I do use it on new fishes in an attempt to get them to eat and reduce the microbe content of my quarantine tank."

FROM A POST.

"There are so many protein molecules produced by the damaged garlic clove that we haven't begun to discover all the possibilities of the effects it may have."

Last edited:
I don't recall "it" (the problem) being diagnosed to be MI or anything else for that matter. If I'm not mistaken it's all speculation at this point.

isn't one of the associated issues with ich secondary bacterial infection?

I think there is a lot still to learn about natural remedies.

Back