Is my Overflow Box too big for my tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

carlos_fb

Caribe Piranha
I just got this custom made tank and when I ordered it, I asked the guy to make the overflow box AS SMALL AS POSSIBLE. Attached some pictures. He said that was the recommended size for my tank which to me sounded like BS.

The tank is a 60 gallon (48" x 15" x 20"). Check it out and let me know what you guys think?

overflow1.jpg

overflow2.jpg

overflow3.jpg

Once it starts making gurgling noises you'll understand why the overflow has the width it does. You will eventually want to install some sort of noise muffling device like a Durso's standpipe or similar. The pipes needed will require the added room as will your arms while trying to install it :cool:

Cheers
Steve

That looks about right depending on what type of flow you want. Looks like a pretty nice job by the way. The only thing you could have done to conserve real estate was to do a Calfo-style overflow.

Mike

Looks good to me as well. With wanting clean installs without a bunch of powerheads etc everywhere, sometimes you have to sacrifice some space in order to get it done. Anything smaller may cause some problems with flow etc at higher gph's. My overflow stretches almost the entire length of my tank so don't feel bad:)

Come on guys, these are not the answer he wanted. Work with him...
WOW, WHAT A HUGE OVERFLOW!!!!!:lol:

In all seriousness, looks like a pretty AOK #1 job! I wish mine was a lot bigger. Hard to get a decent silencer into it so I am using a jury rigged one. Works, but is a bit lame. Enjoy your beautiful tank and excellent overflow:)

Hey thank you guys for your replies. I guess I will leave it that way then. I was thinking in removing the box and cutting a couple of inches off but I was not looking forward to it since it has glass pieces attached to it which would make the process more difficult. It's not the length what bothers me but how deep it is. I guess I will have to work it out with the aquascaping.

Today I received my Durso pipe, thank God I didn't touch the overflow box, the stand pipe fits perfectly, not a lot of extra room!

Thank you guys!

dursopipe3.jpg

dursopipe4.jpg

Last edited:
You are lucky your overflow box is as big as it is. After ordering a custom tank myself, the tank maker made the glass overflow boxes, "smaller" than I wanted. I really had to do some customizing on my durso standpipes to get them inside the box.

Back