is overflow box noisy?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

devids

brinee
this is probably a stupid question but i am thinking about setting up a 10g sump for my 37g tank in addition to the canister filter that i currently have running. so my question is... is the overflow box noisy? cuz the tank is in my living room and if it is in fact noisy, i will cancel this plan. thanks

if they become loud , you can make them quiet. dont worry, look up durso drain .

ARSA
this is probably a stupid question but i am thinking about setting up a 10g sump for my 37g tank in addition to the canister filter that i currently have running. so my question is... is the overflow box noisy? cuz the tank is in my living room and if it is in fact noisy, i will cancel this plan. thanks

A Durso stand pipe can be used with a drilled tank OR a HOB overflow box, to quiet down the overflow. However, this will still leave a noisy, flushing sound, in the sump. This can also be quieted using different methods. One common one is the use of a T, in the sump, with one outlet of the T open, to allow the venting of air bubbles.

If done properly NO it won't make loud noise it will be nearly silent.

Make sure the drain is covered and large enoughp so it wont clog.

If you buy a cpr overflow box be sure to get a aqualifter pump ,or better yet, if there is room put the airline down to the sump and attach a maxijet to it. This way in powerfailures it will alway's start up with a good strong siphon.

Last edited:
Back