Is this Live Sand any good?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

winland

Newbie question coming.... :confused:
I have some used LS that is in a couple of large rubbermaid containers.
Probably 150# each, covered with saltwater, from original tank.
This sand has been in these containers, covered, for over 3 weeks.
No light, no water movement.
It is starting to smell pretty bad.
Is this live sand any good? Can I use it in a new setup, 125 gal tank?
If yes, is it possible to clean it, filter it, sift it?
Helpful suggestions VERY WELCOME.

Winland

Welcome to Reef Frontiers

i wouldn't use it. you could try rinsing it but no matter how well you do it there will still be some dead stuff and nutrients left. i would start fresh and get a few cups of sand from a local reefer and you will have live sand in no time

Welcome to RF!! I agree with Chris. Also, I remember Boomer mentioning one time something about sand sitting like that creating some sort of toxins or something...Can't remeber exactly, but you definately don't want to use sand that has been sitting like that for that amount of time wityhout any flow etc.:)

I am going to try to save this sand, dead or alive.

I have done a first filtering and transfered the sand to a new saltwater tub.
I have used a screen to sift off any large shells, dead worms and some of the other larger foreign matter. The smell is a definite rotten egg or sulfer smell.
I will siphon off this new water tommorrw and add a new batch saltwater to the sand.
Hoping this will help to clean the sand.

winland

Get some bacteria that you use for buffering and it might help kick start the new sand. Some Garf grunge would as help put back a live bacteria to speed up the cycle of the sand.

it's fine

Hydrogen sulfide is a gas and rinsing and stiring the sand in fresh salt water,would release the gas and if done free of fish the sand would be way live.It would also provide ideal conditions for copepod and amphapod colinization.

Hydrogen sulfide is a gas and rinsing and stiring the sand in fresh salt water,would release the gas and if done free of fish the sand would be way live.It would also provide ideal conditions for copepod and amphapod colinization.

Good to know... I knew it was bad, but didn't realize it was that simple to release it. What do you mean by "way live" though? Do you mean the sand would be completely "live" having being sitting there for 3 weeks with no flow or lighting and could just toss right in?

Last edited:
way live

By way live i mean it would probably be mostly anerobic ,and once stired in fresh salt water would bring oxygen into the sand thus killing the anerobic[most of anyway]and open the door for aerobic.The way part would be the organisms that died,which is prime realestate for copepod and amphapod populations.also a source of amonia in trace amounts.So when starting a new tank it would supply all the things needed.

The way part would be the organisms that died,which is prime realestate for copepod and amphapod populations.also a source of amonia in trace amounts.So when starting a new tank it would supply all the things needed.

you left out excess nutrients to feed nuisance algae.

IMO doing this is getting off on a bad start. dont you want to start a reef tank as clean as you can, why start off with sand full of dead stuff. for $15 you can get a bunch of sand from HD. then get a cup or 2 from a friend or LFS and you have live sand in no time

Back