it keeps gittin purdier

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

afishyguy

My thanks to those who posted on the new tank. As promised, here are more pics. Thank you N1Husker. Sorry to be so long in getting back with a few more pics. Things have been incredibly hectic around here lately. Weather, gardens, animals, and a wedding. You know the drill, life in general. LOL. The tank is 60X36X24. It is approximately 225 gallons. And no, it isn't difficult to get to as long as I don't clutter the space along the ends of the tank. Upgrade? Nope, not really, just another tank to care for. Another is 96X28X18. A bit less water, but still a nice set up. It is coming down though as I am getting too old to care for three tanks. I am grateful to have lived this long though. The 3rd was a 45 that housed the Elegance. Someone else had commented that the cinder blocks looked tacky. Well, some folks can afford to spend more than others and some folks buy stuff just because it cost a lot of money. I don't. Too old for that BS. LMAO. As I had stated back then, they will be covered. And the first time I ever used them most of you weren't even born. Hey, I told you I have been in the hobby a long time. The tank is indeed up in the air on cinder blocks. They even use those things to support mobile homes. If they can handle that, they can handle a tank. Years ago, I had a fish store in another state and all the tanks were up on blocks and 2X4's. They don't rot or rust. Yeah, yeah, I know. Get it powder coated. I would rather spend my money on critters and their comfort than powder coating. The span is filled with 4 homemade glue lams made of 2X8's and 3/4" exterior grade plywood. They measure about 7.5X7.5". Use multiplication and you will know that there is just about 2" between them. In other words the tank is sitting on an almost solid piece of wood that measures almost 7.5". Now look at the pics. The blocks have been completely wrapped in exterior grade plywood that has been coated with Spar varnish. On top of that I have use tongue and groove cedar. Altogether, this stand cost me about $120 plus my time. Some of the material I already had on hand. Again, I am old and retired and I tend to hold onto things. It was a project of love and it was fun to boot. I still need to dress up some of the wiring, but it is coming around. My thanks again to Jason (he built the tank) and to a lot of other folks as well. Since I live in the middle of nowhere, the internet is the easiest way for me to shop. I know a lot of brick and mortar stores don't like that, but there are no brick and mortar stores within 60 miles of me that carry corals. I love it in the middle of nowhere. So here are a few pics of the stand and a few of the tank. I hope you enjoy them.

Attachments

• IMG_0554.jpg
    IMG_0554.jpg
    36.9 KB
  • IMG_0558.JPG
    IMG_0558.JPG
    84.8 KB
  • IMG_0602.jpg
    IMG_0602.jpg
    51.1 KB
  • IMG_0608.JPG
    IMG_0608.JPG