its been so so long

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

trillyen

what???
Hey what up old friends im just back to show off some pics of how my tanks coming along

let me know what you guys think

I do have a question about my new clam though... It seems that when it was at the store it was such a silky looking velvet color but when i took it home after a couple days it still comes out, but all the vibrant colors are gone and its just like a solid purpleish blue color without the striped coloring like in the stor i tried feeding it phyto planx and selcon and it likes it but it still dosent seem to be getting its color back

its in a 24 in deep tank with a 250 watt 12 k metal halide and 2 48 in 110 watt a piece super actinic vhos

any ideas???

let me know what you guys think!!!

here is my sps and my star polyps any one know what kinda sps frag this is??? id really appreciate it if yaw did
spsandstarpolyps.jpg

starsbubbleandclam.jpg

darkclown.jpg

frogbrainbutterfly.jpg

fulltankpics.jpg

And last but not least the 125 gallon

3 months ago
Picture165.jpg

and today

Picture287.jpg

Not much of a change although 3 months ago all i had was a hippo blue tang and a peppermint shrimp and a few nas snails

now i have a small fox face, naso tang, blue tang, 2 maroon clowns (not yet paired) a dragon net blenny,and a couple conchs, and a few turbo snails!!!

let me know what ya think

thanks ahead of time!!!

hey hey, looks good! Hey though, I'm surprised you've had luck with the copperband and the clam together. keep a close eye out. clams are often their favorite snack and hate to see you loose the guy. Then again, if it works out, that'd be awesome!

Copperband say's " Mmmmmm Clam Chowder "

I would think the frag is a millepora.. Best guess with this photo. A close up would help !!

Ya got's 2 tanks now ?

Don't ya wish they made a small strainer for that 802 powerhead. I never liked that about it !

:)

Pau

Copperband say's " Mmmmmm Clam Chowder "

I would think the frag is a millepora.. Best guess with this photo. A close up would help !!

Ya got's 2 tanks now ?

Don't ya wish they made a small strainer for that 802 powerhead. I never liked that about it !

:)

Pau

lol yea the strainer is kinda big but it does the job i guess

yep ive always had to tanks has it been that long plack!!LOL!!

thanks ill just call it miilepora for now or probably mill lol, ill take some better pics soon!!

hey hey, looks good! Hey though, I'm surprised you've had luck with the copperband and the clam together. keep a close eye out. clams are often their favorite snack and hate to see you loose the guy. Then again, if it works out, that'd be awesome!

hey thanks for the heads up i forgot that butterflys mess with clams i really did

so far he hasnt messed with it its really well fed in the tank it seems though it never eats the fish that i give to the dang clowns

what Do they eat guys

thanks for the help and comments!!!

as for that clam, try either looking down from the top of your tank. Or if it can be moved (as in it hasn't footed itself) try setting it upright but slightly tipping it twards the front of the tank. To me it seems like they gotta catch enough light but you still gotta look at the soft tissue straight on or you don't see the colors. Kinds like looking at an LCD TV from am angle. The bad thing about tipping it though is the tissue needs to be upwards and facing the light so it can be sure to getting enough. Also if it's footed you could tear the foot and injure or kill the clam.

Looking good trillyen! As far as the clam goes, it is like BCT182 said, probably the angle you are looking at it. Looking at a clam from the top of the tank down is a totally different story than looking at it straight on. How long have you had the copperband? Is it eating any prepared foods? You might see it picking at small feather dusters in the tank, and if you have them, aiptasia.

hey thanks for the kind words guys

Don't know how I could look at the clam through the top of the tank I've got so much flow I wouldn't be able to see any thing but I'll try any way later on

How can I tell if my clam is happy, when I first got it it was turning itsself over ALOT on it's side but now it seems to like where it is

U guys are probably right about how I'm looking at it buy I still fill like my clam ain't happy. How can I tell of it is happy or unhappy

Are there any links I can check out or something. I'm gonna be taking my salt water invert bible to work tomorrow.

Thsnks ahead of time guys

Something to look for when a clam is not healthy, is a lack of response to shadows. If you wave your hand across the surface of the water creating a shadow, does your clam make a closing movement? Try it out. Wave your hand over your clam, and see if it closes and opens again. You also want to make sure your clam doesn't look pinched up, where its mantle isn't nice and extended. Sometimes placing your clam on a flat piece of rock will help stabilize it. Your clam may be happier in the rockwork, where it can anchor its foot. Has your clam already attached its byssal threads to anything?

Here's some reading for you. I stuck a couple of articles on Tridacnid crocea in here, because if I remember from your picture, that is the species of clam you have.

Troubles with Tridacnids: A Look at Two Common Problems by James Fatherree, M.Sc.

Identifying the Tridacnid Clams by James Fatherree, M.Sc.

A Brief Guide to the Selection and Placement of Tridacnid Clams by Barry Neigut

Sample Chapter of Clams from Calfo & Fenner's "Reef Invertebrates"

Archive of Aquarium Frontiers Articles 'On the Half Shell' by Daniel Knop

Clam Selection Tips

Tridacna crocea — Pearls of the Reef by Daniel Knop

Cunning and Malicious: Parasites and Predators of Giant Clams by Daniel Knop

Fish “Bullies” in the Giant Clam Tank by Daniel Knop

Placing Giant Clams in the Reef Tank by Daniel Knop

How to Choose Healthy Giant Clams at the Aquarium Store by Daniel Knop

Reef Tank Design for Giant Clam Lovers by Daniel Knop

A Close-up Look at Tridacna crocea by James Fatherree

Welcome back!

Like NaH2O suggested I would recommend placing the clam in the rockwork if it has not already attached itself. I have mine up in the upper portion of my tank on a rock, it has been on the same rock for over a year. However, I noticed after adding my DIY lumenarc type reflectors the clam began to expand it's mantle more than ever. Apperantly they like a lot of light and the reflectors made a big difference in the light amount actually getting to the tank!

wow thanks for all the help guys

Boy that's alot of studying to do by the time I get finished reading that I'll be almost as knowledgable as u guys and able to help people like u guys helped me.

Thanks for all the help, oh and by the way I had no idea the clam had to get it's footing down yes the clam still open and closes at shadows and fully comes out in the day and partially at night.

I dug a Lil whole and sat the clam down in it and it seems pretty happy and my butterfly completley ignores the clam ) for now (

Thanks again guys

Missed ya, it's so good to me back, LOL

Back