Iwaki Pumps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

idgy

The WMD (American) models feature an American made motor and polypropylene adapter bracket while the MD (Japanese) models feature a Japanese motor and aluminum adapter bracket.

Is one better than the other? I heard the Japanese run much more quite than the American. Any truth to that?

If I am running a refug from my basement to my tank (which is on the main floor of the house) and the distance is about 10 feet. What kind of gph should I have from the refug to the tank?

What size tank do you have? What size skimmer is in the sump? Any other equipment in the sump?

Most pumps are rated for their maximum flow rate, which is usually at zero resistance (or head loss). However, a pump will flow significantly less with the added resistance of the 10 vertical feet between your sump and tank water levels. So, eventhough you may want (for arguments sake) 800gph of actual flow, the pump you select may be rated for 1500gph.

I hate to say this cuz it makes me kringe every time I do, But the Japenese Motor is way better then american one. Get the japan motor. Since the 80's the US market in Motor manufacturing has taken a dump. Only certain ones are worth a darn, and the motor Iwaki used blows chunks. Smart move on thier part for sure.

I run two Iwaki Japanese pumps on my system but I like the amp master better than them.

I have an american and a Jap Iwaki on my tank, never had a problem with either on, both are about 7 years old. Amp masters are the worst pump ever made I had two and had them both fixed twice then sold them and it was hard to get them repaired.
Also look at Panworld pumps, they are great

For the price the dolphin ampmaster is way better. Also better heat dispersment and lower amps. On my ampmaster 3000 (a little over 3000 GPH) I was drawing .9 of an amp.
Matt

Back