Iwaki wmd30rxlt will it leak?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

You could bolt it if you are concerned, but that small piece of wood it is sitting on will probably just vibrate just as easily so probably wouldn't benefit you much. Personally, I think it will be fine and not cause any leaks not being bolted down. I mean the thing isn't going to be jumping around or anything anyways especiaally with that hard pvc plumbed to it that is probably holding it very well in place. The most I'd do is maybe put some sort of padding underneath it to eliminate vibration noises which is all I ever did. Never bolted one pump yet and never had one spring a leak. :)

Last edited:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Note I have utilized unions for easy disconnect of the skimmer and the return pump. Question is, is that iwaki gone vibrate and loosen the fittings? I plan to bolt it down, is that pretty standard?

I saw you had a duplicate thread to this one started in another section (new to reefkeeping) so I just removed the new one to make it easier to follow along rather than trying to reply to two threads that are identical. I did however place up top the post you made on that thread so you can have a copy of it here as well. If you would have preferred this thread to be placed in a different section just let me know and I can move it for you. No problem at all. Just let me know...:)

Good luck and as skimmy and I mentioned you will be fine. Something to pad it from vibration noise is probably all you will need. As for leaks, they will only come if plumbing wasn't glued properly. The pumps vibration wouldn't be enough to spring a leak. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two of these pumps and set them up similar to what you have showing. Attached to a small pc of plywood with (6) foam door bumpers on bottom to reduce vibration. I also ran a bit of Flex-spa on my new system for added vibration reduction.

Plumbing mock-up for 125
Plumbinginreturnpick-up.jpg

and in place, a little further along
returnplumbingfinished.jpg

Cheers, Todd

I had an MD40 that I left bolted to the plywood like that. Only thing I did was get some rubber pancakes and throw them underneath to cut down on vibration noise. Just find some thin rubber, or very high density foam, and throw it under the pump.

Mike

I have rotten luck with threaded bulkheads of that design. The outside thread does not match off the shelf hardware threads and it you over tighten the inside thread (ok, with an older fitting for the 3rd time) the bulkhead split right along the seam on me. I now try to do slip with SPAFlex, Heavy duty bulkheads (mcClendends) or conduit nuggets.

Your plumbing is fine as is. If you do stupid things like try to pick up the pump a backup on hand may be advisable (ask me how I know).

Back