JBJ Arctica Commercial Chiller

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

marinelife

SaltGeek
I am getting ready to get a chiller and the size I think I need would require me to get a commercial edition, does anyone know how quiet they are. How do they compare to the standard Arctica chillers. I am going with 1/2hp but if it is to noisy I may have to try and get away with a 1/3hp that is not a commercial edition. Tank is 400 gallons total with 1200watts of lights, temp with lights off is 78.6, I want the tank at 80, the room hits 75 in July and August. I have heard the standard JBJ Chillers and they would work great but only go up to 1/3HP. Currently I have large fans keeping the tank at 80 but they are too noisy. I can leave one over the sump and I have some Icecap fans coming for the canopy. If the commercial chillers are loud do you think I could get away with a 1/3hp

i have the mini 1/15 hp for my 30 gal reef tank , it is pretty quite,but i do not know about the more hp ones, they are good chillers. i have spoken to them and i find them pretty honest , talk to borite,on of their tech people. tel #310-672-0480. good luck. jakleen

Hmmm....a friend of mine has a 1/2 hp, but I'm not sure what brand. It wasn't as quiet as the 1/4 hp chiller I have, but it didn't run very often. It cooled the water pretty quickly from what I remember. I'll see if she can offer some input here....

edit - I sent off a PM, so hopefully she'll chime in, but when doing so I may have been mistaken...she might have a 1hp. My brain is going! :D

I purchased a 1/3 hp and the noise level is ok, I talked to them and was told a 1/3 would be 4 1/2 time as loud. I wouls still be interested in hearing from someone else about it

I do have a 1/2 hp Nikki. It's a Pacific Coast It's not terribly noisy, but I don't think I'd want it in my living room. Any chiller 1/2hp or larger, I think you'd want to do a remote installation -- i.e. outside, in garage, basement, etc. HTH

Katrina - Thanks, I did have a 1/2HP Aqualogic and it was to loud for the living room, the new smaller one just sound like a fan running, about as loud as my icecap fans. So far the one dual window fan in the canopy and fan over the sump have taken care of the heat, the chiller has not had to be used

Back