Jellyfish tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Kingumar

One of my bud came up with this idea. He was thinking about getting another tank and ended up watching some jellyfish videos on youtube.

Im not sure how serious he is but, i want to know if anyone else has kept jellyfish before? I have been reading about them and some say its extremely hard while others say they are not that hard to keep.

I know you need a cylinder tank because they can get stuck int he corners but the main question is; how hardy are they?
Also, i was reading the moon jellyfish are not harmful to humans. Their stings are not strong enough to go through our skin.

I have zero input here but am totally going to follow this thread as it is an interesting topic.

I have helped a few folks build kriesel tanks in the past. Moon jellies are the most popular type for this type of setup, a good thing is that you can get captive raised Jellies that are a little tougher. One of the problems is their life cycle, its anywhere from 3 months to a year ? So you would really want to induce them to brood (have babies). From what I remember they like it cold so a chiller is going to be needed.

Mojo

Sometimes, I believe they have to make it to a year in order to become sexual, from their they brood and keep the youngings (polyps) inside them. YOu kind of have to worry about others eating the young once they get past that stage though

octapus are sweet too, but great escape artists. You need to seal up every opening on your tank, and maybe put some weights on the lid... and they could still get out.

There is also a video of an octopus that they trained to communicate with a keyboard. ie. green key is feed food one, yellow is food 2, red is leave me alone, etc. Saw this video a decade ago, but probably still around.

I kept a jellyfish in a tank I had about 12 years ago. It was FOWLR. Didn't really know what I was doing, but the moon jelly lived just fine for awhile, until it met an untimely demise in a powerhead...

They live in waters that range from 42F to 88F degrees. They are found in almost all the oceans around the world, including here in Washington.

They will require a dedicated tank that is either clyinder shaped or better yet, a Kriesel design style tank. These types of tanks keep the plankton and such food suspended in the water column so the jellies can eat regularly and also helps keep the jellies moving and never allow them to come in contact with the bottom of the tank.

If you decide to use a cylinder type of tank you need to make sure there is some good turbulence ( bottom to the top) so the jellies do not just end up a blob on the bottom of the tank.

There are a few other jellies that are available to the hobby.

p.s. If you ever get stung by a moon jelly, It does not hurt, but you will probably end up with a nice little rash. Got stung one time when scuba diving, and left a nice red mark on my cheek for a while.

Here's some informative links for you on Jellies and there keeping.

Moon Jellyfish, Aurelia aurita at MarineBio.org
Midwater Systems Jelliquarium Moon Jellyfish Tank Kreisel Aquarium Ephyra Tanks Medusa Mangrove Jellies
Keeping a Pet Jellyfish: Moon Jellies, Blue Jellyfish & the Jellyfish Aquarium Tank

Back