Just a little flood

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

szidls

Gaitor Wrestler
Well to make a long story short........I found another way to stupidly flood the house again. Did a wc and left my siphon hose going into the sump sock after the return pump was shut off.:rolleyes: Anyway other than the water clean up, the only fatality is my return pump. Pan World 50x external. The furniture filled enough to flood the fan area. I pulled it apart enough to drain the water. Is there anyone with electrical experience to know if it can be cleaned and saved? I ordered a new replacement and wonder if the old pump can still be used for a back-up.
TIA, Scott

i don't know anything about the pump, but i am sorry to hear about the flood!! i bet you learned from the experience though!!!

No we never learn from experience with water problems in this house. We lost count on the floods for every reason you can come up with. We copy Nikki... :)

i don't know anything about the pump, but i am sorry to hear about the flood!! i bet you learned from the experience though!!!
Yea Ron I learned long ago there will always be a next time. DOH :exclaim:

Join the club! Noah has nothing on me:p Sorry to hear that man.... I would think there would be something you can re-place to get that pump going again, but depending on what it actually is, it may be cheaper to just replace. Is there anyone you can think of that can take a look at it and say what needs replacing?

Yea Krish I'm hopeing Big T or DonW might chime in with some thought.:) The replacement was 130 bucks so maybe the old one is salvagable for a back-up.
So much for my frag money.......lol.
Scott

Yea Krish I'm hopeing Big T or DonW might chime in with some thought. The replacement was 130 bucks so maybe the old one is salvagable for a back-up.
So much for my frag money.......lol.
Scott

LOL! Always something huh?:p...I was thinking Don when you posted that question as well. He should be able to give you some info:)

Saltwater will corrode the internals fast, so your looking at a rust bucket rather quickly, it the motor is made like most the fan will most probably spray water everywhere inside the motor. It would require you taking the motor apart & cleaning it & checking it see if you have any burnt spots on the windings, as in shorted areas. Most pumps aren't worth rewiring but like the sequence Balder they are rebuild-able. If you take the motor apart you will have to be cautious of the brushes if it has them, they will be spring loaded to make contact with the commutator connections. So with all that said I'd take it to a shop that re-winds motors or someone that is familiar enough to take a look at it, you may get off as easy as just drying it out & lubing it up again, but if it continues to trip the breaker your not helping it.

Keep a can of non-chlorinated bake parts cleaner around just in case this sort of thing happens. After a flood take it(the pump) outside and flood it with the brake parts cleaner. It will remove all the salt and be dry in a matter of minutes not hours or days. $5 at any auto parts store.

Don

That would work only if you didn't already try to run it, less likely if it tripped the breaker also but a very good way to clean it before trying it out again. It would be worth trying for sure just in case nothing is damaged.

Well I got the case apart. There was a small amount of water in the back of the case where the fan shaft comes through. I dried it. The windings look good and not corroded. I think I will still get some brake cleaner and spray magnet to clean. Do you think I should use wd-40 after on windings or any where inside?
Thanks, Scott

WD works but not as well as the break cleaner, the down side of the break cleaner is on any lubrication, it will dissolve that also which would shorten the life of the bearings but in most cases that can be avoided. Scott if you have it apart, spray it down with WD and wipe it dry throughly.

Hey you read my mind Curt........gotta run to parts store for brake cleaner.
Thanks, Scott

Well I got the case apart. There was a small amount of water in the back of the case where the fan shaft comes through. I dried it. The windings look good and not corroded. I think I will still get some brake cleaner and spray magnet to clean. Do you think I should use wd-40 after on windings or any where inside?
Thanks, Scott

WD is solvent based and will evaporate, just takes longer. Brake clean is alchohol based and is not a good solvent, will not break down high temp grease. The alchohol base is what makes it dry so fast without leaving behind a oil film to collect dust.

Don

This how I prevent that from happening, since Ive already done it a few times. The black hose is the syphon, all crap goes into the sock. I just unscrew the hose and cap off when not in use.
dads.jpg

That is a neat trick Don, One thing WD is good for & that is collecting dust, the brake cleaner will dry film free also. I thought some of the brake cleaners contained solvents as well, I doubt if it would be enough to remove the lubricants as said regardless.

That is a neat trick Don, One thing WD is good for & that is collecting dust, the brake cleaner will dry film free also. I thought some of the brake cleaners contained solvents as well, I doubt if it would be enough to remove the lubricants as said regardless.

They cant use solvents. Solvents will debond brake shoes and most have a oil base so just like wd they would collect dust. You would'nt want that in your brakes. They would make noise and overheat.:)
Brake clean is just a cheap version of electrical parts cleaner in a bigger can.

Don

Back