just getting started

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

From 14 yrs old I've been hooked on saltwater. My last tank, decommissioned about 15 years ago, was an awesome 55 gallon. I've always wanted to do a reef, but the time was never right. Well now it is. My 20 year old got a 100 gallon long and has decided she wants to do a reef. I have some pretty awesome local guidance and encouragement thankfully.
First step tank cleaned and on the stand waiting. Second step filter and skimmer ordered. Salt is waiting to be used and have 20lbs live sand and 40 regular sand... How much more will we need?
Water is the next question. Does it need to be RO, or will something else work? Getting RO locally is easy,its more a time issue(I work nights and getting to the store can be difficult sometimes)

You'll need at least 40-60 more pounds of sand.
What type of filtration did you order? Is this going to be a Reef system or a fish only system?

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.

Welcome back to the hobby.
I agree that a good ro/di unit is a very useful tool to have.
Is the tank drilled and do you have a sump?

How many lbs. of live rock do you have planned for it?

Nope not from Shawn, I don't know shawn, a neighbor(her brother left the hobby years ago and never got rid of the tank or stand).
To start it will be fish only with plans to expand into reef slowly. She's the type for baby steps and perfection then move up to next stage.
Its a canister filter and off hand I can't remember brand. She would like a back filter also, for the sound and movement (she's on the autism spectrum and her 10 gallon betta only tank has helped a lot with it).
Im not sure on skimmer either. They were both said for 100 at least(think one was more).

I would take a trip down to see Kevin at Aquatic Dreams in Post Falls for some advice on the skimmer and the tank in general. He has guided me thru my ten years with my 300, and never steered me wrong. Look into that FB page link I gave you and you are gong to find alot of good people more than willing to help you out. And just cuz, The Spokane Club is having their annual BBQ on July 19th, that is always a great time to get to know the local folks and get some insight also. :)

I would take a trip down to see Kevin at Aquatic Dreams in Post Falls for some advice on the skimmer and the tank in general. He has guided me thru my ten years with my 300, and never steered me wrong. Look into that FB page link I gave you and you are gong to find alot of good people more than willing to help you out. And just cuz, The Spokane Club is having their annual BBQ on July 19th, that is always a great time to get to know the local folks and get some insight also. :)

1+
Absolutely. Talk with someone who can show you on the spot about equipment and stocking plans.

Welcome! This is a great spot for tips and advice! I would definitely suggest an RO/DI water filter and make your water.

Thanks for all the input. We have an RO filter added to the list of must get things. We have added more sand and rocks, some live rock. The water test today was good except the ph, it was on the higher side at 8.4. Today the kid added a clown fish and two snails. The live rock is growing things, one even has what loss like tiny itty bitty tube worms. Haven't been able to get a pic of them yet, but for now there's this one. 10462155_1429818963966912_7986627415704960899_o.jpg

Thanks for all the input. We have an RO filter added to the list of must get things. We have added more sand and rocks, some live rock. The water test today was good except the ph, it was on the higher side at 8.4. Today the kid added a clown fish and two snails. The live rock is growing things, ovne even has what loss like tiny itty bitty tube worms. Haven't been able to get a pic of them yet, but for now there's this one. View attachment 45306

Back