Just got a new tank (see pic), 75g. What lights should i buy?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dpzimmerman

I just bought a 75 gallon bowfront acrylic tank. I have everything together except for the lighting. I dont know what kind/ how many/ what size i need.

i have done my "research" so im not really looking for lighting descriptions. i have just had trouble pinning down specifically what lights i should get for my tank.

I am planning on growing soft corals. nothing to complicated.....yet.
I am in college so would not like to spend a lude amount of money but will definitely pay to get it right. Thanks in advance!

*the tank currently has 2 fixtures and can hold a total of 2 24" bulbs. when i bought it they had a black light and a 20w plant bulb in it. lame right?!

wholetank.jpg

You could probably put in a really nice T5 retrofit kit in that hood. That would let you do just about any coral you like.
Checkout hellolights.com. They usually have pretty good prices.

That is actually what they call a half hex tank.
With soft corals you can use Power Compacts. I use them on my refugium that stays light 24/7 and my zoas and mushrooms never looked so good that are in there,

If you plan on going to a harder coral you can look at T-5's

I have a nova extreme pro 6x54 t-5 setup on my tank and it has been amazing. I would highly suggest this setup for a nasty 75 gallon setup.

Back