Just got my light need a little help!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

as1720

Female Hermit crab
1x 250W DE HQI,
2x 65W Compact Fluorescent,
4x Dual Bluemoon LED

Which light do i turn on first? How long do i leave it on? Then how long do i leave the second light on?

Should i turn the fan on as soon as i turn the light on?

There isnt any corals in there right now well enless you count a kenya tree but got only knows that thing will leave through anything.

Im waiting for the tank to settle into the new lights befor i ad anything.

Last edited:
If you want to do the whole actinic dusk to dawn process you need to turn your 2x65w ers on for 2hrs, then mh for 8hrs then having your 2x65w stay on for 2hrs after that. You can turn your moonlights on after that if you want. So keep your pc's on 12hrs and mh on 8hrs. Personally i just turn my lights on for 8hrs all at once. HTH

If you want to do the whole actinic dusk to dawn process you need to turn your 2x65w ers on for 2hrs, then mh for 8hrs then having your 2x65w stay on for 2hrs after that. You can turn your moonlights on after that if you want. So keep your pc's on 12hrs and mh on 8hrs. Personally i just turn my lights on for 8hrs all at once. HTH

Let me make sure i understand,
7 am i turn the 2x65 on
9 am i turn the MH on
5 pm i turn the MH off
and leave the 2x65 on till 7pm?

or just turn them both on for 8 hours. got it! Geesh took me a second to figure that out.

I have another qestion, its only a 29 gal tank, is my tank going to get too hot if i have both the lights on for 8 hours?

Yep, 7-7 is correct. Generally people use actinic only when they do this for the pc's.

For a 29g you may get some heat. You'll just have to see what happens. Does your fixture have fans in it?

that has to be an odyssea/coralife fixture, and yes, there are fans on it.
im running one on my 24g freshwater aquapod and i needed a small muffin fan to blow at the surface to keep the water cool.

Its not a name brend thats why i got it so cheap.

Yes i does have one fan on it, but i will be buying a duel fan to help keep the water cool, right now it jumps up about 8 dagrees! So untill i get the fans im not using it. lol

Back