just reading power outage thread and...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

idgy

what do you do if you do not have a generator? I do not have the space or money for one. So if my power goes out for an extended period of time is my tank screwed?

Well you can get a apc or minute man back up powersupply for computers and use that on just the return pump. Just figure out watts on your pump, and the backups have a minutes of run time at that wattage. A tank I take care of in Columbia Ky has one. I talked to APC. They said it would run the return pump for something like 900 minutes. Steve

We've talked about getting a generator but haven't yet. A few winters ago, we had a horribly bad ice storm that downed so many trees our power was out for 6-7 days straight! We were one of the few houses on this street that had natural gas fuel so atleast we had hot water, oven, and a working fire place. We had many visitors that week! :D Anyway, to keep the aquarium's temp up and aeriated, I would scoop water out of the sump and into a 5 gal bucket; then heat a small pot of that water on the stove and pour it back into the bucket; stir, then pour into the top of the tank (splashing as much as possible); repeated that 5-7 times every 4 hrs (or sooner if i was bored). Very, very time consuming.....but I did not have any losses..other than a week of vacation time from work. :D The moral to that story is that having a generator would be a VERY nice thing to have.

This is so weird that you posted this :).... I was just in Lowes yesterday looking at those things Steve was talking about. They're backup batteries for computers and electronics. They sell different sizes depending on what equipment you want to keep running. The small one they had at Lowes ran around 60 bucks. Not bad considering how much generators cost... :)

check out CDW's website, they have a calculator that will tell you how long it will run with what wattage. The one I got for them, has a extra external battery hooked up to the control unit. Its pretty trick, about 350$ Steve

Hey Beckmola, you commented

"The small one they had at Lowes ran around 60 bucks. Not bad considering how much generators cost..."

So $60 is only the price of one or two nice corals, and you're going to risk losing the whole tank over a few more bucks?

A small and quiet generator can easily be had for $300-400, 500-600 for the nicer honda ones.

I put the value on my 135 gallon reef tank at several times that amount, and when power is out in the middle of winter, its hard to keep your tank warm by rubbing two wood sticks together underwater.

Anybody ever seen that episode where the guy has a car that is powered by his own sense of self satisfaction? I liked that one. They cops tried to use hippy strength mace on Homer. The mace had a swab. For me if I base everything on cost vs. how it works for me, and how it fits into my budget. I would be in debt. Today my only bills are business related, shelter related, food related, and insurance related. I.E. all of my reef was paid for in cash. Thats a good feeling. If a 60$ item will run my reef for 4-6 hours I can pay cash I would buy it.

idgy said:
I do not have the space or money for one.
I was just chiming in with another low cost and low space option. :) Some people just don't have 300-700 bucks to spend on something like that.

Last edited:
Alright - let's keep this thread going in a positive direction. :)

I certainly see where Rocky Heap is coming from....I know when the time comes and I need a generator (and the neighbor doesn't share, lol), I'll be cursing myself that I decided on a Calcium Reactor first. A generator is on my want list, but also remember a generator isn't good unless it has fuel....and not fuel that's been sitting in it for years (my understanding anyway).

For my tank I have one of those battery powered airstones. I will be picking up a few more, so I'll have 4 or so in my tank. When we leave for vacation it gets plugged into an outlet. As soon as the power goes out, the battery kicks on. Otherwise, depending on the temperature, I'd wrap the tank with a blanket for insulation, and maybe take one of those hand-cranked kitchen wisks and stir up the water a bit. If I had water for a water change I would do that as well. We have been very fortunate (natural gas all around, so even when power is out, we still have heat, hot water, etc....doesn't do much for the heat of summer :)). Even with the tornados, we haven't been without power for more than an hour or so yet (knocking on wood).

I would say at the least, get some battery-powered air pumps and a couple of airstones in case their may be a short power outage...

- Elmo

These battery pack things sound great. I will have to go get one this weekend. Along the lines of what NaH2o said. A generator is useless without fuel, because two years ago we had 100 mile an hour straight line winds come through Memphis. Which the city named Hurricane Elvis. It knock out power to the majority of the city for two weeks. So no gas stations had power to pump gas. No gas, generater is useless.
Patrick

We have power outages on a regular basis where I have my reef - due to high demands versus ability to supply

The first time it happened - it was 8 hours - 8am until 6pm - I had no alternative power source and feared the worst

since then we have experienced at least 1 day a month with power out and in some areas where it is highly industrial they are now without power 2 days in every 7

The positive news is that depsite the 4 x 8 hours periods with no power my tank has experienced no long term ill effects -

The computer UPS system described above sounds like a good way for me to ensure against future outages - cheers

Steve

If you all are worried about a few dollars here or there, you really got into the wrong hobby even if its only a 20 gallon tank on the kitchen counter with a damsel in it.

I was raised as a boy scout. Be Prepared.

Its just like car or home insurance, you really don't need it, TILL YOU NEED IT!

The risk, and cost of failure, is yours alone to bear.

I ask this too then.

How many people already have a spare return pump or heater ready to be installed in case these other critical components fail? I know I do.
Good pumps and a spare heater (a good name brand heater, and not a quick bandaid crappy fix you buy at Wallmart) is also good to have on hand. "Just in case"

Too funny how many people also mentioned "a generator is only good if you have gas".
I guess guys haven't heard of spare gas cans and Stabil fuel stabilizer. I keep 10 gallons on hand most times!

Soooooo, practice being a boy scout, and "be prepared", The coral you save may be your own.

$300-$400 on a Calc Reactor, or a generator?, give me the generator any day.

Rocky - I certainly understand where you are coming from, however, a lot of people are not made of money, and I would never feel I got into the wrong hobby because I am trying to save some money here or there. I'm glad you would choose the generator over a calcium reactor any day. I wouldn't make that same choice. The likelihood of my needing the generator before the calcium reactor is slim.....and that is my choice to make. Not for someone to make me feel badly about a choice I made. We all learn from our mistakes....but we are free to make our own choices and make our own priorities. I think being supportive in someone's choice is just as important as urging them to make a better decision. Help someone deal with the choice they make and give advice accordingly.

RockyHeap said:
Too funny how many people also mentioned "a generator is only good if you have gas".
I guess guys haven't heard of spare gas cans and Stabil fuel stabilizer. I keep 10 gallons on hand most times

This still would not have done my brother's tank any good when the Hurricane went through Florida. He wasn't even allowed back to his house for 4 weeks. Obviously, generator or not, he lost his tank. He could have had his own personal gas station.....but if you aren't allowed to be there, or if your house blows down...not much you can do.

Oh I don't mean to get anyones Corals in a big bunch...

Priorities is what it comes down to. And if 4 D batteries in a airstone pump keeps you feeling safe, then so be it. I'm happy FOR YOU!

We lose power out in the country where we live about 4-6 times a year. I'm not in a city apartment where you rarely lose power. My record was 3 days no power in the December winter. PLUS we're on a well, so no power, no water............

No power, no flushy the toilet!

THATS also a big reason I own a 6500 watt generator. I can power the whole house, our water well, and the reef tank (and TV or what not) when the rest of the neighbors are eating cold soup and watching Nemo gasp at the surface.

Not saying that one way is right nor wrong (gen set or not.)

I've also seen some very clever 12 volt DC deep cycle batteries hooked up to a power inverter, that auto switches over when the wall voltage 120 VAC power goes out over to 120VAC inverter power source. Of course you're not going to get this for $60, but it depends on what wattage power draw you want to run for how long.

Heck people, its only money! Give up a case of beer or a night out for drinking/dancing/dinner or a movie and you're that far ahead towards a new toy or tool that may save your reefing butt down the road.

Money and Priorities, the rest is up to you.

For me one more added benifit of a back ups system is its automatic. A generator can only work for me if I am home. A back ups will kick on within milliseconds with no loss of out put from my return pump. Thats a good thing to me. Well Northern does have a natural gas or propane powered automatic full house generator system that costs 12,000-20,000$ That would be extra nice, but a wood stove and a battery powered air pump will keep a reef going for weeks. I can charge a backups and run it for a very long time with simple inverter and my car or truck. I do believe there is more than one way to skin this cat. Steve

wrightme im trying to think where i saw it . i believe is was on about.com they used an old ups from a computor and a heavy duty marine battery. they said that would last longer than traditional cycle batterys. I live in the pocono mts of pennsylvania and we had lossed power for 5 days this winter. everything in my house is electric. i had borrowed an 8500 watt generater. it ran out of gas at 3 am and i refilled it. it was so cold that the time it took me to fill it up it was frozen and couldnt be started. the ups would have come in handy for a tank. fortunately mine wasnt set up yet. nikki, its definetly tuff to afford all the goodies at once. most power outages dont seem to last that long. the one we had, had never been that bad ever. ive lived here for 2 yrs and most outages, although rare only seem to last a matter of minutes. im not sure spending the hundreds or thousands for a generater for me at this time is warrented. I think there would be more pro to the reactor. as time goes by and i have enough invested to warrent a generator i will put it on the list. probably behind the priorities like the mortgage, kids school clothes, groceries, insurance etc....lol

Many different ways to skin a cat here. Most times a generator is good only if you are home to use it. So first off, be home when you have a power outage.

Second, if you are home to do something, and you have a car, that has gas in it, use an inverter. I only lose power for a couple of hours at a time at most. And that is few and far between. I run my car, power my pump and turn on a heater every so often and I am good to go. That is a very cheap way to go.

You don't always need a generator ... there are options :)

RockySheap of course you have a generator if your a country bumpkin, thats a practical buy. If i lived in the country I would too!

Back