Kahuna & Indoor cohosting PSAS

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kahunakatz

Dear Reefers,

Kahuna Corals is proud to announce that we are co-hosting the July Puget Sound Aquarium Society meeting with Indoor Reefy 22nd, Jul. It should be a fun day to talk, learn, make, eat, and maybe even buy a lot.

The meeting starts at Kahuna Corals at 2:30 PM. We should have food for everyone if you RSVP or contact me well enough ahead of time.

Brad is going to help me lead a talk on a DIY project that a lot of people have wanted to do, the Maxi Jet Mod. If you bring your Maxi Jet 900 or 1200 and prepay for the parts we will be ready to help show you how to mod your Maxi Jet. If you participate you will leave with a Maxi Jet that creates flow similar to a Tunze Stream! If you do not have a Maxi Jet and you still want to participate please PM me and I will have some for sale at a reasonable cost.

The only caveat is that, since we need to order the parts shortly, we need you to decide quickly if you want to do the Maxi Jet mod. The parts should be around $20. I have seen these in action and they are worth every penny. Please email or PM me or Colleen to place your order for Maxi Jets or Mod parts.

We will have sandwiches available while you are at Kahuna Corals.

In honor of our first PSAS meeting and upcoming move, we are offering a 30% discount on livestock the day of the PSAS meeting.

After meeting at Kahuna Corals we will all go down to Indoor Reef, check out their new location and see Leng Sy speak. Leng Sy is the founder of the ecosystem method and the creator of Miracle Mud. Between both stores, the DIY talk and hearing Leng Sy it should be a great Meeting.

If you are not already a member of the PSAS then this is the perfect time to join!

If you purchase any corals at Kahuna Corals you can either take them with you down to Indoor Reef or I can hold them for you and we can bag them up once the entire meeting is over.

Best Wishes,
Barry Katz

Last edited:
I just edited and added the date, but it is Saturday the 22nd. We are starting the Meeting at Kahuna at 2:30. The address for Kahuna Corals is:

401 Olympia Ave NE #115
Renton, WA 98056

Best Wishes,
Barry Katz

the cutoff date for the maxi jet mod sign up is sunday the 16th, giving us a week to sign up. psas will be making the order on that day so it will go in mondays mail.
there are 2 different sizes available, one for maxijet 900's for $17.99, and one for maxijet 1200's for 21.99, there will also probably be another $2-3 for shipping, im trying to get a discount for a large order, so we dont know the exact shipping cost yet..

a very inexpensive price to pay for a 2000gph wide stream powerhead!!!
(remember you must already have the maxijet, or buy one from barry:) )

Last edited:
I will be in reno that weekend shoot. I want to do the maxi jet mod and Have an extra Maxi jet but won't be there Darn :-( But Hats off to you guys this is an EXCELLENT choice for a meeting a DIY project !!!

I Know for a future project how about a aquascaping project where everyone gets a try in the same tank ?

I've made 4 of the mods so far. I dont need another, but I can help show people what to do if you all want. Better than sitting around watching people have fun tinkering. :) Or maybe that'll be a good distraction while I clear out Barry's livestock before anyone else gets a chance. :p

Well yes and no. You can put them on a wavemaker, but the prop will wear out faster.

Each time the pump restarts, it may kick into a stopper to make sure that it starts the right direction. If you're continually stopping and starting it, it'll wear the prop and you'll loose effectiveness/might break it after awhile.

Of course, you could just replace the impeller and get a new prop again, which is around $10, if it does happen.

Would this be less likely to happen without the modification? From what I've read, Maxi-jets are the best powerheads to put on wavemakers, but I'm not sure I'd want the 2000 gph going full time, I'd like to set up two of these, on on each end of my tank and stagger them to run 3 out of 9 minutes on the longest cycle. Would this be a viable plan?

Thanks!
Susie :)

I would love to be there, as I need to actually join. But, alas, that's the day we start driving for our vacation. I guess I'll have to wait until you are all over at The Shark Reef for the meeting in August.

Shoot...I'm going to be on the east side of the mtns that day. Really would like to join the maxi-jet mod workshop if I could! Can I join in on the group order of the parts & just pick them up at a later date? Maybe I could prepay and you could leave with Barry...then I can pick up from him & get some cool SPS and zoas at the same time :)

Thanks,

Rob

They do start backwards some times and then have to correct themselves. It all depends on the size of prop.

Last edited:
Back