Kalkwasser Reactor question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ilovereef

I am running a large GEO kalk reactor but never got the PH above 8 for my 150g sps tank. I set it up for top off water with a tsunami auto top off and the kalk also has a timer pump to stir up the bottom few times a day. With the auto top off water, it doen't run all the time but only drip water when low and stops at the max set. I think it's not enough to raise the PH over 8. Any idea?

Kalkwasser has a pH of about 12 – 12.5. so perhaps it is your PH kit or meter needing calibration.
If not, getting enough fresh air in your tank room?

Last edited:
Kalkwasser has a pH of about 12 – 12.5. so perhaps it is your PH kit or meter needing calibration.
If not, getting enough fresh air in your tank room?
Thanks, Mike for your input and thanks again for the kalk media you gave me last time. Always good to hear from you :)

Are you measuring the pH always at the same time of day. pH varies considerably depending on the time of day and when your lights are on or off. My pH is always the highest just before the lights go off and lowest just before they go on. The variance can be .5 or more.

If you are unable to solve your problem, you may want pipe fresh outside air into your tank area. I experienced my house being too air tight, which can cause your pH to go down. I could not believe it, but it is true. It is a long story, but there is more on the web on this topic.

I would use mutliple test kits and pH probes to confirm first that your pH is definitely low.

Back