Keeping rock in place

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Airphotog

Love my Nikon
I was pondering glueing some 3/4" wide x 1" or so square acrylic rods onto some plex and put it on the bottom back 1/3rd of my tank to help keep the rock form moving around.
Anyone ever tried this with any luck?

Brian...

I have tried this and most other techniques. Found the best was to drill 1/4 inch holes into the base rock and the one you want stacked on top and connect them with a 2-3" piece of fiberglass rod available for dirt cheap from Tap plastics. Add some glue to lock it all in. Have made many stable towers this way and earthquake proof.

I have tried this and most other techniques. Found the best was to drill 1/4 inch holes into the base rock and the one you want stacked on top and connect them with a 2-3" piece of fiberglass rod available for dirt cheap from Tap plastics. Add some glue to lock it all in. Have made many stable towers this way and earthquake proof.
That is what I would like to do but I will not be able to keep the rock out of water very long. It is going to be a quick transfer. I have my 26 bow that has been up for a little over a year with Zoas nems shrooms and fish plus a 29 in my garage that has been cycling for a few months and my sump has another 30 or so lbs in it out in the garage. The new tank is a 48" long 90 acrylic and will be ready in a month or so.

Brian..

That is what I would like to do but I will not be able to keep the rock out of water very long. It is going to be a quick transfer. I have my 26 bow that has been up for a little over a year with Zoas nems shrooms and fish plus a 29 in my garage that has been cycling for a few months and my sump has another 30 or so lbs in it out in the garage. The new tank is a 48" long 90 acrylic and will be ready in a month or so.

Brian..

I do the same, except use plastic coat hangers. cutting off the straight peices. Get a drill bit extender and drill the rocks in a bucket of water change water.

Back