Keeping Starfish for Harliquin Shrimp

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BobinCovington

So I know I don't even have water in my new tank yet, but what is the best way to keep starfish to feed these little guys? I have been thinking about getting a pair, but I hate the idea of having these shrimp and running out of food for them

Should I keep some blue Linkias or other less expensive stars in a refugium or seperate tank? Someone talked about cutting starfish into smaller one arm "morsels" to dole out regularly. Anyone have a good economical way to keep a sustainable supply?

How often do they need a star? Is it like me..., where my wife and I drink a bottle of red wine every Friday night?

Last edited:
Ive seen people keep 3 choco stars in a sump and then cut off an arm once a week and feed it to the shrimp, and by the time it comes to cut that same arm again its grown back, just not as large.

ya I have a pair petco sells choco stars for like 6 bucks look for the big ones I ussally feed one leg per shrimp per week and they snack on the little crapy stars around the tank in the mean time I keep the star food in the sump till I need them

I have a pair too and this thread reminded me to feed them some star legs.

I keep my stars in a fuge that just has rock in it. There's virtually nothing for them to eat in there so I have to remember to feed the stars too or they'll starve.

Do you know if choc stars are strictly carnivores or do they need their greens too?

Back