Killer Powerhead??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jgraeff

Jgraeff
Ok im trying to figure out what the heck is going on with my modded maxi jet 900. It sucked up my rbta which is reasonable to understand, last week i saw it also suck up my clown which i saved because i saw it happen. Yesterday it somehow manged to get my yellow tang, now the output is only 1200gph or so, and i have a vortech mp 10 and mp 40 that are pushing 2000gph+ and do not have this effect on anything. I know my tang is small, but still tangs are very fast swimmer and strong swimmers i cant seem to figure it out. I took it out for now and im making a meshed cover for it so that it cant kill anything else. What are your thoughts on this?

First conclusion. It is angry at you for modding him out. Or someone hooked a chevy 305 up to it and it is the Sup'd up power head. Something you would see on Tool Time. No real guess on why it is doing that. However it probably should have been checked when it sucked up the anemone. Sorry to hear about the loss though.

Yesterday it somehow manged to get my yellow tang, now the output is only 1200gph or so, and i have a vortech mp 10 and mp 40 that are pushing 2000gph+ and do not have this effect on anything.

First thing I would like to know is how you got a MJ900 to do 1200 gph.

First conclusion. It is angry at you for modding him out. Or someone hooked a chevy 305 up to it and it is the Sup'd up power head. Something you would see on Tool Time.

Ha thats funny but true. Ya im not sure its just the normal sure flow mod, and its really weird because it seems like it creates a super large undertow rather than putting out more flow, i put it on a maxi 1200 to compare and it seemed to work as it should, but i use the maxi 1200 in my frag tank. Once i build the mesh guard it should save anything from being injured though.

Also update, my tang is eating and swimming much better so im thinking it will recover just fine. Its back to ruling the tank again instead of staying in the corner.

+1 for the mesh guard. Quite some time ago my intake guard on one of my power heads got bumped off (probably while cleaning). It had the same effect. Sucked up my anemone before I could get it back in place.

please give us an update on your mesh guard when you get it finished.maybe pics too. i have two 900's i just bought mods and magnets for but haven't installed yet. now i'm kinda nervous about using them after hearing your story.

Ok there is actually a good video on you tube here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWiBps7GPC0&feature=channel

i will do something pretty similar however i want something that leaves smaller holes just as a precaution. I will however post pictures of mine when i get to it. Also addocdreefer i have found that the maxi 900s just dont work right with the sureflow mod, im not sure why but i tried a different one and it did the same as mine. They do create lots more flow but the undertow is just too much. anyways im sure it will be fine if you make the guard for it. good luck.

Back