Killer Tank!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reena

Hi,

Right I have had my water tested 3 times now by my LFS and my water conditions are completly fine. But nothing seems to survive in my tank. I bought a cleaner shrimp on saturday and that died on sunday. I bought hermit crabs and they haven't moved at all since saturday but they are alive. I have 4 snails out of which 3 are active and 1 hasn't really moved.

I have had my phosphate, Nitrate, Nitrite, ammonia, carbonate, PH, & Salinity tested and all the levels are good. So I don't really know what else to do to stop my stock from dieng! I have also done 2 water changes and each time I have used RO water and my Tank temperature is fine too. Is there something that I have over looked?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Reena

Are you acclimating properly?

Hi dtd87,

I think I am. When I bought my cleaner crew I did let them float in the tank water for an hour and then I slowly added the tank water to them before slolwy introducing them to the tank. I did the same with the cleaner shrimp.

Regards,

Reena

have you tested your tank for copper? what is the history on your tank and live rock? any pumps with rusting parts?

Reena, several things here,A, do not depend on your LFS for anything, get your own test kits so you know whats going on.
B, clean up crews die, its a fact, acclimation can play a role but sometimes they die anyway, cleaner shrimp can also just die so no need to panic just bad luck. Get your own test supplies, ammonia,nitrite,nitrate, calcium,alk and magnesium. Where does your water come from? ro/di , tap , lfs , well?
Floating for an hour is not good, the water in the bag gets polluted rapidly, so place bag to float maybe 5 minutes, pour out 1/2 the water and add a cup of tank water, repeat every 5 minutes 3 or 4 times (discard all this water) net or hand catch item and put in tank. This is ok for CUC but you should set up a QT for fish

Hi guys,

I have my testing kit and all my tests showed the same results as when my LFS tested my tank water. I have tested copper and my tank was shown to be clear of ammonia. I have only ever used RO water in my tank. I have about 22KGs of live rock in my tank out of which 4.5 was purchased from a guy that was selling his LR. I am thinking of getting rid of it as that is the only part of my tank that is 2nd hand.

Regards,

Reena

Hi guys,

I have my testing kit and all my tests showed the same results as when my LFS tested my tank water. I have tested copper and my tank was shown to be clear of ammonia. I have only ever used RO water in my tank. I have about 22KGs of live rock in my tank out of which 4.5 was purchased from a guy that was selling his LR. I am thinking of getting rid of it as that is the only part of my tank that is 2nd hand.

Regards,

Reena

all rock is 2nd hand lol, unless its really fugly or covered in pests don't worry over it, btw? what is salinity at?

all rock is 2nd hand lol, unless its really fugly or covered in pests don't worry over it, btw? what is salinity at?
Hi Sasquatch,No only 4.5kgs is 2nd hand out of the 23kgs or so that I have in my tank. My salinity is at 1.024. My rock is all good. No nasty pests or worms. I've introduced a damsel today so see how it goes.

...Okay, crazy infant guy aside, let's get back on topic...

Reena, every tank is different. I do agree with Sasquatch in regards to acclimation. He hit the nail on the head - you definitely don't want to leave your newbies in the bag for that long a period of time (1 hour).

We do need a little more specific information, as has been requested (where are you getting your RO water? LFS/house tap?); and definitely give us your specific levels for everything you are testing.

Hope the damsel is holding up! :) What kind of damsel did you get?

What about stray voltage in the tank?? Heard of livestock being lost because of this. Also, is it just inverts or fish as well? If just inverts, maybe a mantis shrimp hiding out in there somewhere maybe?? Just a few thoughts. :)

Back