Killing valonia and aptasia on live rock.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wrightme43

Alright, gave my brother my old reef tank christmas before last. He didnt really keep up with maintence. LOL
Rock covered in aptasia and valonia and I mean covered.
Took it out tuesday night. Moved tank and cleaned with vinager.
Rock set dry for 24 hours. Now has been sitting in freshwater for over 24 hours.
All bristle worms are extra dead, all sponges are extra dead. Aptaisa are not open but unknown if they are dead.
Stupid valonia is still somewhat firm and still bright green.
I would really rather not put it in boiling water. Any ideas?
I mean if I absolutley have to boil it to death I will. Its about 30lbs of marshall and figi pretty good sized chunks and a couple chunks of tonga branch.
I have some pond alagae killer, any ideas on long term effects if it was treated, rinsed, and then put in my 100 gallon live rock curing vat. It has a asm g 1x skimmer on the vat.
He did use the kalk and syringe I gave him on the aptasia so there are just hundreds and hundreds of tiny ones now instead of the hundreds and hundreds of big and tiny ones before.
Any thoughts will be appreciated as this will be the life support system for the underwater hamster system. J/K LOL
What do you think?

I would boil it just to be sure. I'm not sure if letting it sit dry then fw soaking will kill the valonia spores or not and aiptasia is super hard to kill off. Boiling 30# shouldn't stink up your house too badly. LOL~

I think you are screwed Steve because if you don't know, I don't know who will(LOL) JK. I don't know what to tell you there. The only thing I've ever done to my rocks was scrubbed them in freshwater or left them out of water for a few months. If you are trying to save some of the good stuff in the rocks, then I'm not sure what to tell you. I guess if the tank is in as bad a shape as it sounds, you might as well boil them and start over. I scrubbed my rocks many times, I've done 100% water changes twice and still had algae popping up everywhere on me on my last setup, which some of you know, I had to take down. Some of the old rock is in the tank, and after a few months outside, they have no algae on them(LOL)

Well, One of the "real" LR's I got from a friend had a bunch of tiny aptasia. The other 2 pieces were from a diffrent tank over 2 years old, so I didn't want them to get infected. What I did was ran the rock under straight hot water from my tap for 2 mins. Its been almost 2 months and have yet to see any pop up at all. Not sure how the pic is going to turn out, but here they are, AFTER I got rid of the junk rock I bought, stupidly I might add lol.

Well how about scrubbing the rock with a firm shoe/boot brush and rincing in the sink wearing thick dish gloves ?

plack said:
Well how about scrubbing the rock with a firm shoe/boot brush and rincing in the sink wearing thick dish gloves ?
Always works for me. Also wear a clothe over your nose and mouth (surgical mask of sorts). I find dealing with large amounts of this type of algae (sporophytes) can cause a mild allergic reaction like hay fever. Always makes me sneeze up a storm for an hour or so anyway.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks everybody for the response.
It has been soaking for over 36 hours now. I have changed the water repeatedly and it looks like everything is dead. LOL
My friend and I are cooking 100lbs of boston butts in the smoker starting tommorow morning. It wont be done till saturday afternoon and I wont get home till 1030 or so saturday night. I will just leave it to soak in chlorinated freshwater untill then. Then I will add dechlor and let it sit for one more day and by then I would say if its going to die it will have. Then I will use the scrubby brush and gloves and go from there. If it looks like anything survived it will be boiled in a big pot and then it will be dead for sure. LOL
OH yeah
Smoked boston butts, soaked for 24 hours in olive oil, vinager, salt and water. Then injected with onion juice, garlic juice, real butter, and tabasco. Rubbed down on the outside with Tony Catchetories. Then smoked for about 30 hours at 240 with white oak and pecan wood. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We auctioned one pan that was left last year for 75$
Its that good.
Bet you cant get that in the Bahamas.
French angels a dime a dozen.
Pecan wood and White oak is scarce. So there (I will just go get my own live rock and corals) Krish. LOL LOL LOL
Steve

Back