Learn me about Ozone....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Maxx

Staff Housemonkey
I'm curious about ozone use in reef systems.

I've got a 250 gallon system that started out as a 120 display tank with a 50 gallon sump. It has "evolved" into a 250 gallon system with the additions of a 58 gallon display (for critters that wouldnt be "accepted" in the 120), and a 40 breeder frag tank. I say evolved because things were made to fit into space available which has complicated maintenance and access to some areas.

This means that I’m not able to run ozone through my skimmer since I don’t have space available to run the skimmer/ozone effluent though carbon to take up any residual free radicals etc.

I’d been debating the merits and drawbacks to ozone for my personal system for awhile, but recently, I’ve been having an algae outbreak and increased phosphate levels. I’m pretty sure this is caused by the dried organic nori I’m feeding my angels and tangs, but not 100% positive.

After paying attention to Mojoreef’s rebuild, (The beast is dead), and seeing him state he prefers to use ozone and a skimmer vs. GFO for phosphate removal, I began thinking about ozone.

I’m no rocket surgeon or chemistry whiz monkey, (I’m a housemonkey), so my knowledge of ORP & ozone is pretty limited. I have a basic grasp of what it can do and why it can be beneficial, and how it can be a serious problem.

With my unique system “issues” I began looking at Ozone reactors. I’m currently only aware of two companies selling them, Avast Marine and Octopus/Coral Vue:

Reef Octupus/Coral Vue Ozone reactor
CV-OCT-OR150 Premium Aquatics - CV-OCT-OR150 Aquarium Supplies

Avast Marine Works Mutiny Ozone reactor
AVAST Marine Works - The AVAST "Mutiny" Ozone Reactor - Product Details

Generally speaking ozone reactors get better mixing/contact with water than a skimmer. More contact time means more stuff taken out. Generally best to use carbon on effluent. That way you know you aren't releasing free radicals into your system, granted in most likelihood unless you are running "a ton" of ozone vs your system it's probably not a "real" issue. I like reactors because as a generality you KNOW they are made to withstand the ozone, you can run effluent through carbon and you don't risk impinging on the air intake of the protein skimmer (decreasing performance) and possibly damaging a skimmer that is typically much more expensive than your ozone reactor. On the down side, adding an ozone reactor makes the "system" more complicated. My system is already “complicated” so this isn’t necessarily a good thing IMO.

Looking between the two ozone reactors, I’m really leaning more towards the Mutiny 2 by Avast Marine. It’s less expensive than the Octopus model.They also have Build It Yourself kit (BIY?) that is less expensive than buying one already assembled. It comes with standard sized plumbing/fittings whereas the Octopus is metric fittings/plumbing, which can be a PITA to source.

My knowledge of ORP & Ozone use comes from these three articles by Randy Holmes Farley, and what I’ve read both here, and in books I own.

Ozone & the Reef Aquarium Vol 1(Chemistry & Biochemistry)
Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 1: Chemistry and Biochemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Ozone & the Reef Aquarium Vol 2 (Equipment & Safety)
Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 2: Equipment and Safety by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Ozone & the Reef Aquarium Vol 3 (Changes in a Reef Aquarium Upon initiating Ozone)
Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 3: Changes in a Reef Aquarium upon Initiating Ozone by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

My intent with ozone is to reduce phosphates and other Dissolved Organic Material, (DOM’s for short). I’m not interested in trying to use Ozone for any other purpose, so I should be able to get by with lower doses.

Based on reading these three articles it appears that I will need to look at a way to remove bacteria from the system as well since ozone allows DOM’s to be taken up by bacteria much more readily, so in order to get them and the DOM’s out of the system, carbon dosing ala Bio-Pellets might be a good way to go.

Thoughts?
How many of you are using Ozone on your reef systems?
How much ozone are you using on your system?
I’m kind of an equipment junkie, so I’m curious what Ozone generator and ORP controllers every one is using as well.

Nick

I love ozone, but need to add that it is very dangerous and only for advanced reef keepers willing to run ORP controlling equipment. The dangers is from excess O3 toxicity taking out corals and or fish.

It is amazing for reversing an ongoing catastrophic crash from a new cycle starting in a stocked display. It is helpful when trying to ride out a marine disease, and it is wonderful when water changes are less than frequent due to schedule issues

Ok Max, without getting into how ozone works. With a reactor you are creating a pressurized setup in order to dissolve the ozone directly into the water, so I believe you need to have around 5-6 psi holding into the reactor. SO keep that in mind when you find something to push air. Another thing to remember is that alot of the reactors have what is called a dump, where they release the pressured water/air, that can be noisy and for a cop it could make you take a dive for you weapon, lol so talk with them about that.

In general you need to deal with a couple of things. One is the air that is enriched in ozone. have that run through a carbon source in order to scrub it, I use a bag of carbon on top of my skimmer (which has a hole cut in the lid). The second is scrubbing the effluent that comes out of the skimmer/reactor, you can get a build up of certain products if you dont remove them or scrub them as they come out of the skimmer/reactor. SO most reactor comes with a second chamber that is a carbon reactor, since mine goes into my skimmer I have a carbon tube the effluent from the skimmer travels through prior to going into the tank. So that is it for that.

As mentioned you need to keep an eye on the levels of oxidization in your tank, as the ozone is basically a super radicle and is indiscriminate. So I use a ORP type probe and controller, mine comes as part of my apex unit so it monitors and controls. If you dont have one then a type of monitor/controller orp unit will suffice.

mojo

I have a very high output ozone reactor (adjustable) with an onboard pump controlled with an aquacontroller, hooked up to the air intake of my large skimmer which is powered by a Bubble Blaster pump. I rarely need to filter out excess ozone with a carbon bag as I adjust the ozone rate to the oxidation level inside the skimmer (by nose)

The controller turns the Ozone on and off based on ORP level, and I adjust the output levels to determine the Mg/hr rate. Typically I run it at a very low rate. Occationally when a problem crops up in the display that needs to be addressed, I crank up the rate on the reactor and add carbon on top of the skimmer so as to not be breathing Ozone in my small office.

Last edited:
Hey Nick, thanks for posting this up as I'm setting up to run Ozone on my new system. Still educating myself and then waiting to have either Mike over for a quick tutorial before firing it up.

Cheers, Todd

Hey Nick, thanks for posting this up as I'm setting up to run Ozone on my new system. Still educating myself and then waiting to have either Mike over for a quick tutorial before firing it up.

Cheers, Todd

You name the time, Ill be there!
Not sure where there is, but I will be there :bolt:

Back