Leather Corals losing lobes

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sounds like it could be a kenya tree, which would normal for this leather.
Got a picture?

As Kevin said, Sarcophyton will "drop" lobes, which will grow new colonies. Are the lobes falling off or seeming to melt away?

More like breaking off. They start separating at the base of the lobe and then end up "hanging by a tread". Several have fallen off on ther own and I have pinched off several. I appear to be losing several a week lately. I have tried sticking the broken ones into my rock but they seem to come dislodged by my critters.. Glue??

Superglue gel MIGHT work, or they might just slime up, making the glue not stick.

You could also use a shallow dish, like a tupperware, on the bottom of your tank, with some sand in it. Place the lobes in it, until they heal and start to attach to the sand. At that point, there should be some hard/sand area that can be glued.

Opps . Missed that one by a mile.
Try to trap the pieces with 2 pieces of rock and hold it together with a rubberband.

Looks to be a Lobophytum and as stated very normal for them to reproduce this way. I've had good success in stuffing the fallen pcs into empty snail shells (rubberband optional) which they attach to very quickly then are easily mounted or moved to desirable locations.

Todd

Looks to be a Lobophytum and as stated very normal for them to reproduce this way. I've had good success in stuffing the fallen pcs into empty snail shells (rubberband optional) which they attach to very quickly then are easily mounted or moved to desirable locations.

Todd

OK, Here are a couple photos of this coral. Notice the white patches at the base of the lobe. Almost looks like eat is being eatin by something. It apperas almost 25% of the lobes are affected. It all started quit suddenly Do you still think it is reproduction?

Yes, it does look as though something took a bite out of it but mine lookes similar after lobes are self amputated (except for the patches in the middle of colony) are there any Angels, Triggers, Filefish or large Blennies in the tank ??? Do you have any pics of the daughter colonies (frags) and are the severed ends clean ?
Here is a couple old pics of my Lobophytum w/ Sarcophyton then a daughter colony from the Lobo

Todd
YellowLeatherMotherSarcophyton2-09.jpg

yellowpolypleather2-17.jpg

Leathers are generally pretty hardy. It does seem it has been affected by something and maybe the babies are are in part due to the irritation but I wouldn't worry at this point. I am assuming your water params are in order and nothing is attacking it that is visible? I recall my leather having some white patches but it kept on growing and dropping young ones.

You can also use a shallow pan, such as Tupperware, at the bottom of the tank, some sand it. Leaves placed in them, until they recovered and began to attach importance to the sand. At this point, there should be some hard/sandy areas, can be bonded.

Back