Leather with Brown Spot on Edge

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mad921

Noticed a some browning in a small spot on an edge of my leather during my morning survey. Wondering if it merits attention and if so what type. Any help is greatly appreciated. Sorry, I know the pic is garbage, but hopefully it can give you the gist of the problem at least.

Thanks! :D

Welcome to Reefrontiers...i tried to look at the pic, but it isn't clear enough....sorry!

Thanks for the welcome!

I know, pic is terrible. I took 5 others and that was the best. It's just impossible to get at it where it sits. I could get in there and move it if necessary to get a pic with a decent view, but was hoping to avoid it.

But, for a better description at least, if you look close in the box I inserted in the pic you'll see a blurry color that I'd liken to a Kellogg's Special K flake (the cereal), which stands in contrast to the rest of the leather which is a light purple'ish color.

When I got the leather, the edge that has the brown spot was slightly frayed, and it appeared as if it had been previously cut there to frag.

I know, I know....not much. Like I said, I can move it if absolutely necessary. I've been reading a lot of possibilities and am inclined to to worry that it's something which would necessitate trimming the infected edge off the coral. But, I'm a rank newbie and that's all in relating information that doesn't exactly fit the issue.

what kind of leather is it??? what color was the edge that was frayed?? was it kind of fuzzy looking??? i just fragged two of mine this week because of a slight infection....i think it was chemical warfare from other corals that triggered it...what corals do you have near it????

It's all alone where I have it, but I've only had it for a little over a week and I can't vouch for its prior placement.

The frayed edge is essentially the same color as the rest of the coral, but it is slightly lighter. I wouldn't really call the fray fuzzy though. To me it looked more like the result of cutting with a tool which wasn't adequately sharp.

yeah, i thought that from the pic, but it was very unclear....i don't have any experience with cabbage leathers.....what kind of lighting do you have on it???

oohhhh...well, that does change the situation a bit..how large is the tank.. if it is really small, it could still be other corals' toxins that are aggitating the leather...what other corals are present???

Others include:

Anthelia
GSP
Misc Shrooms
Kenya Tree
Zoas
and a RBTA

Water changes are done on a twice weekly basis though.

Please lets try to get a better pic here. Some fast tips: place the camera lens paralle to the glass (not at an angle)... use a tripod or some kind of support... never (NEVER) use the digital zoom on your camera (always/only ruins pics) for aquarium pics... turn the room lights off and for this case (an exception) turn off the flash on your camera. Then.. set your camera to "A" (aperture priority) and you will have only a single setting to manipulate (aperture... AKA "F-stop"). Then you can "stop up" (reducing that A number) until you get a best pic you can shoot in this case.

That said... your spots if necrotic are likely a sign of inadequate water flow. mucous tunics, algae or some other settled matter has stifled some tissue and invited small infection. Increase water flow in the tank (add up to 30X turnover bare minimum) and trim the dead spots off with sharp scissors if/as needed.

Anth :)

Please lets try to get a better pic here. Some fast tips: place the camera lens paralle to the glass (not at an angle)... use a tripod or some kind of support... never (NEVER) use the digital zoom on your camera (always/only ruins pics) for aquarium pics... turn the room lights off and for this case (an exception) turn off the flash on your camera. Then.. set your camera to "A" (aperture priority) and you will have only a single setting to manipulate (aperture... AKA "F-stop"). Then you can "stop up" (reducing that A number) until you get a best pic you can shoot in this case.

That said... your spots if necrotic are likely a sign of inadequate water flow. mucous tunics, algae or some other settled matter has stifled some tissue and invited small infection. Increase water flow in the tank (add up to 30X turnover bare minimum) and trim the dead spots off with sharp scissors if/as needed.

Anth :)

Thanks for the reply. I did end up cutting the spot, but ended up with a few more shortly thereafter and ended up taking the leather out. I think it was a combination of several of the factors you listed. It was in a bad spot as far as flow is concerned and I'd consider it highly probable that it ended up with sand and such kicked up on it frequently. Live and learn I suppose.

Back