LED cooling fans wired in series or parallel

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

E

eww

I am hooking up two simple computer type cooling fans to the top of each LED heatsink on our build but what I can't figure out is if I should wire them in series or in parallel. The fans are SUNMON EE92251S3-0000-999 DC 12V 1.3W each. The power supplies (1 for each heatsink) for the fans are Triad WDU12-100 with an output of 10VDC @ 100mA. Should I wire in series or in parallel?

I will wire mine parallel. Then if one goes out the other will keep running.

Depends on the current rating of the power supply. If you wire in parallel and the output is 12vdc with a current rating of 1a, then each strand will have 12vdc with .5a. Which would work until one goes out which could cause your second to get the whole 1a.

So inline fuses would be a good idea. If you could wire in .75a fuses you should be good. This would allow for the safety of the fans but no indicator to you, which could potentially allow the lights to remain on and cause serious damage to the LEDs.

I am hooking up two simple computer type cooling fans to the top of each LED heatsink on our build but what I can't figure out is if I should wire them in series or in parallel. The fans are SUNMON EE92251S3-0000-999 DC 12V 1.3W each. The power supplies (1 for each heatsink) for the fans are Triad WDU12-100 with an output of 10VDC @ 100mA. Should I wire in series or in parallel?

wire them parallel you won't have a problem

That might work, but I know what his setup is and he could run with no fans at all with no problem. Eric won't be able to run emitters hard enough to create the heat that would hurt them without bleaching everything in the tank. I can't see him every running over 45% power

Guerry I can totally agree with you. My current LED array runs just barely above room temp until the emitters are turned up over 60%. At 75% things get considerably warmer and above 90% heat is a major issue/concern.

Back