LED design help please?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sasquatch

I have an oceanic 8gal cube, today I thought :confused: hmmm, is there a way to make an LED stick that would plug right into the standard socket AND use the original power supply/

Sasqu,

You mean to tell me there is an aspect of this hobby you are not educated in? LOL

Sorry I dont have a clue in response to your Q. I know nothing about Leds or electricity, other than I cant see it, and it hurts when it bites

Sasqu,

You mean to tell me there is an aspect of this hobby you are not educated in? LOL

Sorry I dont have a clue in response to your Q. I know nothing about Leds or electricity, other than I cant see it, and it hurts when it bites

fooled you too huh? Im only 100% certain of one thing, if I do what Mrs Squash says Im golden

You have to have a driver for LEDs to keep the volts and watts . Make sure it is 700 mA and the volts match. Most LED's run between 3.2 and 3.6 volts at 700 mA. To run 4 LEDs you would need 12.8 Min to 14.4 volts Max. From what I have seen with a quick search the volts. To use the original power supply you would have to make sure it is rated for LEDs as a driver / power supply. If not Meanwell's LPC-35-700 comes to mind; this driver will run 3 to 12 LED's but non-dimming

A steady DC power supply rated for the correct current and right voltage. You could use a wall wart if you verified the voltage and current. A laptop power supply could work as well. So the biggest thing is to remember that the voltage and current have to be right. Though if you go with a driver you don't have to worry about flicker.

Back