led light for 29 gal

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

totem420

Hello all. I am going to build a diy led fixture from rapidled, i am curious if anyone here could give me some advice on lighting my standard glass 29 gallon tank (30lx18tx12w)? i am planing on getting the 24 3w crees set (12 cw, 12rb) and a heatsink drilled and tapped for 36 leds incase i want to upgrade. my main question is about the heat sink, the choices im torn over is getting a 6"x20" heatsink or a 4.25"x23". Im leaning towards the 6"x20". another thing im curious about to adding some uv violet leds? has anyone done this or seen this? how many uvs would give a good ratio? Any advice is welcome

thanks

Im in the process of building one for my biocube.. i would think about a green and red in there and possibly a regular white in there just adds better color pop.. there are alot of awesome builds on here check them out..

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Everything boils down to height of fixture from water. I think i like the 4.25"x23" better so that you can have more reach on your 30" length tank. In terms of depth of the tank, that can be compensated by raising the fixture.

More reading here Totem.

Back