LED lights:Ecoxotic PAR38 Aquarium LED Lights

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Damsel13

Would these be appropriate as an addition or replacement to 96w PC 50/50 lights over a 55 gal.? I think I am looking more for something that is on a strip?
I am not a do it yourselfer and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for an easy to install solution that would upgrade my lighting. Maybe something I could add to the retrofit I did with the coralife lighting I have now?

Do these things come in strips too?
Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Debbie

I haven't played with those specific lights, but I ran all the moonlights (21w blue spotlights) that are somewhat similar by simply mounting some cheap outdoor floodlight fixtures to a 2x4. I think they were like $5 a walmart or something.

I mounted them like this

028-1.jpg

are your lights in a fixture or a canopy??
if in a larger canopy, it would be easy to mount some e27 sockets and just screw these in...
khaos used a slightly larger outdoor socket fixture from wallmart/home despot, which is going to prolly be the cheapest and most readily available...but i know there are a crapton of indoor/office fixtures for e27 bulbs that you can get from like ikea/target that might be applicable

Last edited:
Kind of. I built my hood so I never had to move it, and I can crawl in to the tank without haveing to do so if I needed to.

037.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, please show us more! FTS and LED spots only would be awsome.

Thanks in advance, Todd

FWIW nanotuners.com offered the first reef-specialized PAR38 light. Ecoxotic basically copied exactly what they did, offered fewer options and the same price. They didn't even bother to give it a real product name to differentiate.

You have more options over color temp (12k or 20k) and options to get other optics (60 or 80 instead of 40) if you order from nanotuners.

Nanotuners has pioneered a lot of innovation for nano aquariums. Clive/Evil is the guy who remade the LED PAR38 originally for reef lighting and has been a big player in LED lighting in general. It's a pretty ****ty thing to have happen to him and nanotuners so I'm not going to support Ecoxotic any more. I'm not expecting others to do the same but I don't mind badmouthing a company when they blatantly rip off someone else's work.

heres a fts in a My tank is 10x4' 30" deep. In a smaller tank I think a couple of these would work well as supplimental actinic light quite well. I found them on ebay one night listed as blue LED spotlights.

034.jpg

there is a build thread over on RC, don't know if I can post a link here or not. its a couple thousand posts long at this point.

"You could lay in there and get a tan"

2700 watts of T5's baby......

Last edited:
Back