LED lights???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Tureefik87

Was thinking about setting up my 50 gal 48"L-18"H-12.5"W as my small reef tank and was looking at The Reef Compatible Marineland LED light fixture and was asking if anyone has this up and what corals are you supporting.

Was thinking about setting up my 50 gal 48"L-18"H-12.5"W as my small reef tank and was looking at The Reef Compatible Marineland LED light fixture and was asking if anyone has this up and what corals are you supporting.

I believe marineland's first run of LED's were .5 watt emitters. Their newest LED setups use 1W led's which are still on the weaker side. These would really only be sufficient for some low light soft corals. Probably isn't suitable for many lps and definitely not SPS.

+1 those would be okay for FW and ud be better off with t5s maybe even some bigger pcs...

I believe marineland's first run of LED's were .5 watt emitters. Their newest LED setups use 1W led's which are still on the weaker side. These would really only be sufficient for some low light soft corals. Probably isn't suitable for many lps and definitely not SPS.

I have to disagree! I have been running LED's for the last 2 years and I am running units with 1 Watt LED's. Each of my units are 120 Watts and I have been able to grow SPS, LPS and softies.

I have to disagree! I have been running LED's for the last 2 years and I am running units with 1 Watt LED's. Each of my units are 120 Watts and I have been able to grow SPS, LPS and softies.

I have to say you're the exception not the rule. That's not a bad thing but it's not the norm by far. What unit are you running, how many and what optics?

I guess if you used optics, used enough LED, and had shallow tank you could be alright with 1W LED but in all honesty running 1W LED at a full 1W is going to greatly reduce their lifespan and you're still only running with 1W. I've got a Moon Strip (sunrise, sunset, moonphase, and LIGHTNING) that is 1W running at 100% and I can assure you it's not up to the task of any real coral growth.

YMMV

I have to say you're the exception not the rule. That's not a bad thing but it's not the norm by far. What unit are you running, how many and what optics?

I guess if you used optics, used enough LED, and had shallow tank you could be alright with 1W LED but in all honesty running 1W LED at a full 1W is going to greatly reduce their lifespan and you're still only running with 1W. I've got a Moon Strip (sunrise, sunset, moonphase, and LIGHTNING) that is 1W running at 100% and I can assure you it's not up to the task of any real coral growth.

YMMV

I am running PA Sun units. A master and 2 Slaves. Each unit has 120 LED's or 120 watts. These have been over my 180 for the last 2 years

I was using the marineland led light over my 2.5g tank. The couple "easy" corals i had in there really suffered. So i put them back in the big tank. I wouldnt use this light again for corals.

I'm running 108w total LED on my 75, I'd like to keep a clam, think thats possible?
Fixtures are the marineland and the imitation by beamworks. 54 1w on each.
I really should be researching clams not lights I guess...

Stu I think pandora32 already answered your question... if the "Easy" Coral suffered then I'd say anything else would "expire" even sooner.

If I were you I'd add a couple of easy coral as "Tests" and work up to higher light demanding coral. Doing this you'll learn first hand what coral that light can and can NOT support before adding a "test clam".

I was using the marineland led light over my 2.5g tank. The couple "easy" corals i had in there really suffered. So i put them back in the big tank. I wouldnt use this light again for corals.

Could it have been the 2.5g of water and not the lights? That just seems awfully small to try to keep anything and be successful.

those are completely worthless... i dont care what watt the leds are that fixture is pure junk.
do not waste your money on that crap.

Back