LED Lights

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

farid2544

I was looking for a thread or website that explains what kind of LED lights i can use on my 90 gallon tank. I tried searching thru this website but cant find one that seems to help me. I saw a Fluval 46 watt with 620 leds that claims to be for corals for $289 at petco and wasnt sure if two of those would be enough to reach the bottom. We have LPS, SPS, softys and fish. Thank you

Go up to Oceans By Design and Barrier Reef.
They both have budget leds that are capable of growing anything and they can show you the product and answer any questions you have.

Don't drop that kind of money on some crappy fluval leds, go to the stores mentioned instead and get a much better deal.

Correct me if I am wrong but all the research I have been doing lately says a reef tank should have a minimum of 1W LEDs with the recommended of 3W and high end of 5W. This is just a noob talking in lamen terms from what research I have been doing. For a standard 48" length tank.

You want nothing but 3 watts, I replaced 2x250 mh with lead's. But keep in mind you get what you pay for in the led market, my Razors over my 125

On average, how many 3 watt led's should a 48" tank have?

Depends on how long the LED unit is. I run a 120 watt 16" over my 60 gallon cube which is 24" long, so if you're using the unit I have you need 2.

Ok. We've made the jump. We just got back from BRA with some new LEDs. Now to post my old lights on the classifieds.

Barrier Reef has affordable Evergrow lights on deck. They honor the 3 year warranty in store. So something local that provides a direct warranty had my vote immediately.

Our tank looks even better now. And the 4 less plugs is another great benefit. We also got the evergrow brand because of the warranty.

I have Current Tru Lumens above my 90. I got them from OBD and I love them. There are 4 strips, two that are marine fusion ( a combination of blue atinic and white and 2 strips of white. Each strip has a knob to control the intensity and I have them hooked up to my Digital Aquatics to control the on/off function. I have seen that Current now has a controller for them that will ramp them up and down to simulate sunrise and sunset as well as thunderstorm modes. I will have to save my money for that though. Glad to hear you found a set at BRA that will work for you.

Maxspect makes good stuff... I have Mazarras (3 Each) over mine and my gf tank... Corals are Happa Happa Happa

Back