LED on 14g

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dmcbride

I am so torn and would like nay input. I was dead set on ordering the 14g biocube kit from rapidled, but they have been out of stock for a long time. Supposed to be in soon. Once that happened I started looking around more. I like the AI nano LED and JBJ's but thinking it might be over kill price wise since I'm not sure I will have any sps in there. Aquastyle looks okay, but I am not sure why it comes with no fan and if I would need one. Also they offer violet lights on it as an option, but heard that spectrum can be bad for xenia. I honestly get soooo lost when it comes to lighting and requirements, as soon as I think I have a grasp i don't. Any input would be greatly appreciated since the only decision I have made is I want LED's. I have a kessil on my 34 and love it. I am not dead set that I have to keep the original hood on, so open to all options.

Why don't you just buy the tank and build a diy led fixture. There are lots of ppl who have done them. Tat2z_21 gave me a lot of info on what I should purchase. I wanted a lot of control over my leds, and wanted to stimulate the entire day cycle. I'm a little lost when it comes to led lighting, but from what I've read you don't really need uv lights. He told me 3 royal blue, 3 blue, 3 neutral white, and 1 green 2 red not sure about the green. I will forward what he sent me.

HTC EVO

I recently ordered the LED kit from AquastyleOnline. I have had it on my BioCube 14 for about a month now and I am really happy with it. My corals (LPS and Softies) really seem to like it. I don't have any SPS but I bet it would provide enough light for them. I only have my dimmers up about half way. You won't need any fans becauase it produces almost no heat. I'm sure there are a lot better kits out there, but this one only cost about $100 including shipping.

Here you go this is what I would do if I had your tank.

3x luxeon star = 10.47
3x Philips Luxeon ES ROYAL BLUE 3 Watt LEDs = 10.47
1x True Violet LED = 4.50
1x 495nm Turquoise LED = 2.50
1x 475nm Cool Blue LED = 1.99

Then use this controller eliminating the requirement for any drivers, and it gives you the ability to time your lights and give you the ramp up and ramp down option. Giving you full control over the specific color of your system.
LED Sunrise and Sunset Controller

This looks like a really good blend of lights for a small tank. That controller / driver combo is also a great deal and very cool too. Good find on the driver/ controller Floyd.

Here you go this is what I would do if I had your tank.

3x luxeon star = 10.47
3x Philips Luxeon ES ROYAL BLUE 3 Watt LEDs = 10.47
1x True Violet LED = 4.50
1x 495nm Turquoise LED = 2.50
1x 475nm Cool Blue LED = 1.99

Then use this controller eliminating the requirement for any drivers, and it gives you the ability to time your lights and give you the ramp up and ramp down option. Giving you full control over the specific color of your system.
LED Sunrise and Sunset Controller

So again no fan because heat is not an issue, right? One place I was looking made it sound like a fan was always needed and so I got confused on that. So I would only need wiring, heatsink,thermal plaster, and of course soldering equipment right? I'll take a look at the build Josh88 sent me, it's probably in there.

Tat2z_21, would this allow me to have a night cycle too? I would really miss my moonlighting. It's the only time I really get to see Capt. Phil (crab).

Thanks everyone for your help!!

Everything I sent ya is what I was going to use for my nano.... I think in one of the pm he says something about getting a little night light to still give that night effect. You can find them online everywhere, I looked at exotic stunner led strips. For blue. They would do great except they are kinda expensive for night lighting.

HTC EVO

You would want a fan, the first 3 ports would be for your led, And the 4th for your fan. I'm just about to order mine.

HTC EVO

A fan would be a plus, but with the LED's on such a huge heatsink, and them running at 500mA max I don't see a need for a fan. However that is totally up to you and like Josh said the fourth port can be used for your fan. As far as Night lights your current hood already has them installed so they would just have to be incorporated into it. If you choose to not use a fan and just use the existing fans inside thoe hood to pull the hot air out, then you could use the fourth channel as your night lights.

Before I said that I should have had you look at the power plug for the night lights. I want to say that it is a 12vdc wall wart for the night lights, with 500mA driving it. But if you can check that I would be able to tell you if it is possible to incorporate it into the lighting controller.

With all channels being adjustable you can easily adjust the color temp to what you like. As far as color rendering that would be specific to each LED and you would need to look them up.

Back